Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rego with larger cc engines

Hi all,

I plan on building a custom bike and was wondering is there any links or threads I should read to help me understand what is needed and what I can and can't do to pass a roadworthy?

For example, is a exhaust and can that sits under the engine ok?

Also what size engine can I get away with? For example I'm guessing I can't just throw a Daytona 190cc in it and pass with out a worry

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Talk to Z50AYE! He can tell you everything you need to know.
    still learning.....

Comment

Thanks for the quick response mate, once I get my post count up I'll send him a message

Or maybe he will see this and reply in here

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Saint, welcome to the forum. If you are taking the bike to a place that doesnt understand monkeys, then the less mods from standard is better. I have a RWC license so I can help you when the time comes.
        General rule of thumb is that you can get away with minor mods like exhaust, bigger carby etc. If you are fitting a bore up kit - no one has to know whats inside your engine. Ive even seen Chinese 125s & 140s go through without any hassles.
        (after all, they're all 49cc aren't they!)
        ​Too many bikes, not enough ride days.

Comment

I recently got knocked back on a bluey for a underslung pipe.
          Slowly, Slowly catchy buildy Monkey

Comment

Hi Saint

Contact your insurance company and ask their opinion as well, if you have an accident with the wrong set-up it could cost you a fortune.

Here is some info from VicRoads:

VASS Approval Certificate: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...al-certificate

Notify VicRoads of changes and modifications: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-modifications

Cheers

Jaimie
            Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

I've got mine booked in tomorrow (vicroads) so will let you know how i get on

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy View Post
                I recently got knocked back on a bluey for a underslung pipe.
                Why ? Not enough ground clearance ? Too loud ? How many db's if too loud ?

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Honda 50's View Post
                  Hi Saint

Contact your insurance company and ask their opinion as well, if you have an accident with the wrong set-up it could cost you a fortune.

Here is some info from VicRoads:

VASS Approval Certificate: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...al-certificate

Notify VicRoads of changes and modifications: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-modifications

Cheers

Jaimie
                  General rule here is if it's legal it should be ok, if it's not they can knock back claims - it's all up to what company you are with and their customer focus.

All that said ALWAYS let them know and get it noted to your policy.

I speak with over 10 years of General Insurance industry experience and currently I am working in legislation interpretation. Happy to talk offline about anything you need to know.
                  Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

My interpretation of the below clause is that is the insurer would have charged you a higher premium but still covered you, then you are still covered and liable for the increased premium, if they would have refused to cover you at all, had they known, then you might be in trouble:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...84220/s54.html
                    1980 Honda Z50 - deep blue with 140cc and rego @ 7HP?
                    2008 Motovert RX - black with 184cc and rego @ 9HP?
                    2004 Skyteam Munster - black with 150cc and rego @ 8HP - SOLD
                    1986 Mighty Boy - deep blue with 1L CB60 @ 105HP - SOLD
                    1972 Mini - BMW Phoenix Yellow with 1.3L 4EFTE @ 255HP

Comment

Hey Mr Anderson. The problem with the ICA is its is "interpreted" by insurance companies and they will all fall back on internal Underwriting Guidelines to back themselves. IE you need to let them underwrite your risk and accept or decline it PRE claim.
                      Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

Comment

Sorry for the high jack. This thread is about rego not insurance - they are 2 different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkiesuncle View Post
                          Why ? Not enough ground clearance ? Too loud ? How many db's if too loud ?
                          Dunno hey ..they just said it couldn't be passed with that pipe. Said they couldonly pass it with original pipe Also queried the pod filter. . But let that slide. .
                          Slowly, Slowly catchy buildy Monkey

Comment

Working...
                          X