Thread: 1983 Z50R Modified

Forum Founder Classic Honda 50's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1983 Z50R Modified

This 1983 Z50R is the bike that I have had the most fun on over the past 20 years, purchased it from a farm outside of Singleton for $400 in immaculate condition at the time and rode it around stock except for rotating the handle bars forward a few degrees for a little more leg room and taking the choke butterfly out of the carb for maximum airflow with the 50cc racing rules that we had at the time

Back in 2009 we put a TB Parts 88cc Race Head Kit, TB Heavy Duty Clutch and NHRC pipe on the still stock 6 volt with points and unsplit bottom end and used the build for an article in the 50's Brotherhood Magazine "Unlock the Box" section. We made 6.4HP on the first run and have seen a max to date of just over 8HP. Finally in the new year we will be back on the dyno with some head mods, upgraded ignition and a tuned exhaust to see how much more we can get out of the TB 88cc set-up:

Since then I have added an Asian Concept Thailand +8cm swingarm with 330mm Yoshimitsu shocks, Fast 50s 1" longer fork legs with Fast 50s HD springs and bushes, new repro seat from Asian Concept and new Honda OEM front and rear guards as my son took the old ones for his 86R practice bike . Swapped to the shorter NHRC exhaust being an off-roader and tried the alloy muffler box for a while but I like the deeper sound of the carbon exhaust can better, ready for some riding over Christmas:

I will see how the forks go but it looks as if the new plan is to swap the forks around with my Fast 50's build that has the TB Billet/KLX110 fork set below to better balance out the stance of the Fast 50s frame that is a bit tall in the front and give me some new forks for my bike :

Cheers

Jaimie
    Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at -Hidden Content

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be interesting to see where you go with this.. pretty impressive looking beast so far thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    my thoughts are the china rear end decrases looks, although performance wise it would be much better of course so there is always compromise.

I would go +4 minimoto or homemade swingarm with taki red/chrome shocks and leave the rest as is, maybe some carlisle muddie/snow hogs

Matty

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Batman..... and I like the short pipe too.

Post Thanks / Like
    neato .
    longer fork legs on the list now ..

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the look of the stock rear guard and don't want to cut or extend it to make it look half right, like Matty suggested I have an XR75 rear swingarm and Kitaco 305mm shocks that I think will fit the look that I am after a lot better as I don't want to change this bike too much, I like the stockish look.

The Asian Concept +8cm swingarm and decent rear shocks work extremely well and are heaven for my crook back and I know that they take a pounding as Mike from TB Parts has been running the Asian Concept rear end on his race bikes for a few years now and has been doing quite well, winning the 8" Vintage Class at Las Vegas for 3 years in a row now:

http://classichonda50saustralia.com....wCat&catId=134

Here is the front and rear suspension complete matched set with Snow Hogs on another 1983 Z50R that now has a white tank and will have a TB117cc Stroker fitted:

Cheers

Jaimie

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Traction at Last.

One more change to a new exhaust and it is almost time to retire my R&D tool of the past 10 years, I don't want to tighten or undo too many more nuts and bolts just put it back to stock as I purchased it almost 30 years ago.

- Over the years this bike has run:

Stock old OEM shocks, new OEM shocks, TB repro shocks, NHRC 280mm chrome shocks, Takegawa 280mm chrome shocks, Gazi 280mm-300mm gas shocks, 330mm Gazi gas shocks and Yoshi 330mm shocks.

Stock OEM forks, rebuilt stock forks, Fast 50s light HD fork springs, Fast 50s heavy HD fork springs, Fast 50s +1" legs with Fast 50s Delron bush set, TB Billet/KLX fork set-up.

Stock OEM swingarm, Fast 50s +1" steel swingarm, Kepspeed +4 Alloy swingarm, NHRC +4 alloy swingarm, NHRC +8 alloy swingarm, modified XR80 swingarm.

NHRC short alloy up-pipe, NHRC short carbon up-pipe, NHRC long carbon up-pipe, NHRC alloy and carbon down-pipes and a few custom up-pipes.

Original stock carb, OEM XR70 carb, Keihin 18mm carb, Sheng Wey 20mm carb, Keihin PC20 carb, Mikuni VM20 carb and a Keihin PE24 carb.

Still has the same TB88cc race head kit set-up that was installed for the 50's Brotherhood magazine dyno article back in March 2009.

For now it will stay like this till I wear out the snow hogs then back to stock:

Kepspeed +4 swingarm and back to the Gazi adjustable length gas shocks set at 290mm to sit the bike flat with the Fast 50s +1" fork legs and heavy duty springs up front:
    DSC03709.jpg

Alloy 3.50 x 8 rims with 4 bolt hubs stretch out the 4.80 x 8 Snow Hogs with flat sidewalls and plenty of tread on the dirt:
    DSC03704.jpg

The Kepspeed alloy swingarm was a bit of a pain in the arse to fit but I like the look of it, had to trim the flywheel case, shorten the swingarm pivot bolt, bend the rear foot brake pedal, custom bend the rear brake rod and add some thread to get it to fit:
    DSC06966.jpg

I had the bike set up for carb jetting on a small track with a 15/37 sprocket combo that let me go from a rolling start through the gears to a decent speed in third gear before heavy braking was surprised to see the speed difference with a 33 tooth rear sprocket and the larger diameter snow hogs as I was now clicking into 3rd gear where I was normally braking at excessive speed for the short test run, snow hogs do pull up much better than the old tractor treads tyres.

Just have to wear out the snow hogs

Cheers

Jaimie

Post Thanks / Like
    The kepspeed swingarm was a pain? I’m not looking forward to fitting mine now! I got the same thing but with the underbrace.