Thread: Diggs Ruckus Build

Post Thanks / Like

Diggs Ruckus Build

Well I scored this little thing for a swap for something I wasnt particularly enamoured with anyway (Virago 250), always had a soft spot for them - will definitely be custom with stretched wheelbase and fatty rear.

Came reasonably complete but had been sitting in a mate's yard under a tarp for 2 years.

36747142_10160418276175543_2138983770282262528_n.jpg
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

2. Likes Z50Monkey Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All back together and running smoothly, headlight and brake lights are out - will figure that out when I get a chance!

21.07.2018.jpg
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

4. Likes raytriplej Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get to keep the tarp?
    Life is too short for cheap carbs...

6. Likes Wynston Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that a low blow matty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mh185 View Post
    that a low blow matty
    Well he’s go to hide that Suzuki somewhere .....

9. Likes Diggs, Magilla Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that a low blow matty
    Haha no it wasn't.

The ruckus is very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    that a low blow matty
    I would expect nothing less......

Quote Originally Posted by Monkiesuncle View Post
    Well he’s go to hide that Suzuki somewhere .....
    This however is a low blow

12. Likes MattyP, Z50Monkey Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am now in the process of learning about CVT drives and how to "tune" them - interesting stuff. The basics of it is altering the weights used to change the gears to suit your riding - in my case I'll be first trying lighter weights to have it stay in gear longer and rev out a little higher.

Hoping with the mods I have planned I can squeeze 80+kph out of it. I'll also be knocking any surplus weight I can out of it. It's never going to be a rocket but hopefully I can get it accelerating quick enough to stay with the traffic.

14. Likes raytriplej Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago now, one of the local bike shops had a speeding fine framed and hanging in the show room, I can’t remember the speed, but it was something ridiculous in a 60 zone, and the workshop ruckus was the bike they were riding when receiving this certificate of merit.

They were obviously very proud of this achievement ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiesuncle View Post
    A few years ago now, one of the local bike shops had a speeding fine framed and hanging in the show room, I can’t remember the speed, but it was something ridiculous in a 60 zone, and the workshop ruckus was the bike they were riding when receiving this certificate of merit.

They were obviously very proud of this achievement ......
    Haha, that's awesome - there's a blog where they were aiming for 60MPH (just under 100kph). Pretty sure they got it with some porting and polishing amongst all the normal mods - 80kph is very achievable with simple mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything buttoned up on this one now - last issue is it bogging down under load at full throttle.

Little reading seems to point to it needing the ECU reset after TPC (Throttle Position Sensor) being disconnected - or I have a leak somewhere on the air filter side.
    Genius tip on this one to find leak: have bike (I am using "bike" very loosely in this thread) idling and spray starter fluid at suspect areas, if the bike revs it's nuts off you found your leak.

Makes sense, but no way I would have worked that one out on my own!

Post Thanks / Like
    RWC done today and rego tomorrow. After that I will be one bad MotherRucker.

Mods will start after I have done some baseline "speed" testing on the flat and up and down some hills.

Post Thanks / Like
    good work mate !

20. Likes Diggs Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I spent today making a start on weight reduction, managed to knock an easy 3.8kg of low hanging fruit out of it.

Hit the tank and frame with a little paint to make it look less shit.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well some playing with the Ruck today and I with a DIY intake I managed to bump speed up by about 3kph after several lengths/positions on the intake - so hitting 55kph on the flat.

DIYIntake.jpg

When I got home from that testing my Pollini variator kit had arrived so I chucked that in and was hitting 75 downhill and now I am sitting on 60 easily on the flats.

Next will be sorting the jetting, as it's way out - but this small motor tuning is highly addictive - and I havent even started looking at Big Bore kits - although I believe they are very limited.

23. Likes z nut Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is fun to watch,,,, keep at it
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by z nut View Post
    this is fun to watch,,,, keep at it
    Cheers mate, ultimate aim is cruising at 70 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    pollini variator kit ? more info

Post Thanks / Like
    pollini variator kit ? more info
    I guess it's like a centrifugal clutch, it has rollers that press the drive face out on the drive belt the quicker it spins.

So the kit is a better drive face, different shaped ramps and different weight rollers - the theory is to "tune" the CVT to your riding, so for me - lighter rollers throw out later and keeps it revving higher before upping the gear. This gives me better acceleration BUT also gave me a but more top speed.

Good GIF on this page
    http://ruckn.com/choosing-variator/

I am still figuring it all out and there's a lot of conflicting info around so it's a bit of trial and error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having an absolute hoot on this little booger, now sitting on 65kph on the flats, so ALMOST acceptable (stock was struggling to get 50kph). That being said I just ordered a CDI that with advance the ignition a little and also bump the rev limiter up by 750 RPM or so. Noticeable increase off the line.

If I can get a comfortable 70kph on the flat I will be happy and can move on to the looks. Leightweight mods will continue.

Also ordered a kickstand (ditch heavy centrestand) and a boss to mount normal bars rather than the BMX style boss it currently has.

I am having so fun with this thing I should be ashamed of myself, but I'm not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on the speed increase! If I didn’t have monkey bikes to drain my wallet and bank accounts, I’d definitely get a ruckus. The custom ones on the social media are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Nice work on the speed increase! If I didn’t have monkey bikes to drain my wallet and bank accounts, I’d definitely get a ruckus. The custom ones on the social media are amazing.
    Dont worry, they are draining my account too.

Still not sure how crazy I am going to go on it, keen for a huge rear tyre, but still not sure about the frame stretch. There's some amazing ones around, the US guys go pretty mental on them!

Post Thanks / Like
    How's this for a sweet piece of gear? Replaces a big hole in the back as I remove the rear fender - pretty heavy but I am willing to sacrifice the weight for a part that looks this good!

TRSGhostplate.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that my "gearing" is optimal the next goal is to get it jetted correctly. I am taking an educated guess to start with and will tune from there (38 Slow/80 Main), I have a few slow jets to try out.

Felt a little snappier up to 60 kph, but didnt gain any top end - topping out at 63 kph.

jetting.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I did a bit of testing this arvo and it seems I got the jetting right with the first set (as above), just clipped 71kph on the flat part of my test circuit.

CDI is in the mail to give it a higher redline and a little advance, as well as a few parts to drop a little more weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you're really enjoying the tuning.

Would this be your go to bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Would this be your go to bike?
    For around town where Im not going any higher than 70 its great - just point and shoot. Like driving an auto.

In Canberra it would be no good as you'd need to avoid the parkway and therefore go through 4 million roundabouts!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why bikes are good here. Roundabouts are fun but not in the work van.

It's an interesting bike you have. I've always wondered how they ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, they’re a good looking scooter. But I’ve always wondered how they ride esp with the modified long wheel bases some of them have.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why bikes are good here. Roundabouts are fun but not in the work van.

We almost end up in the fountain in the middle of that one in the city when we were young!

It's a hoot to ride except when you cant keep up with traffic (long hills).

39. Likes MattyP Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got around to fitting tach last night, this is apparently critical in tuning the CVT properly as you need to know what RPM you are at when it's changing gears. I am also adding CDI that will bump up rev limiter - so also handy to have so I dont make it go bang.

Tach.jpg

I still have to go back and hide all the wiring as with engine mounted in the back the wire to coil can be seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just use clear wire, you won't see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Just use clear wire, you won't see it.
    Would that be in the blinker fluid section?

Post Thanks / Like
    In true Z50 style I cant leave well enough alone - started swapping out the bars. PIA of a job as everything is run through a closed loop in the bars and therefore needed to be disconnect and pulled out then rerouted. They are also like a BMX style thing that requires a boss to revert it to normal bar clamps.

Anyway I am halfway there and about to leave on a holiday for the weekend - will have to get it all back together on Sunday night as this is my daily

Also chucking on a speedo with an ODO as I wanna have some idea of how many KMs I have left before filling.

BarsSpeedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg

44. Likes cometcosmo2003, raytriplej Liked this post