Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Honda Monkey released in Thailand this month!

Post Thanks / Like
    If everyone's thinking the same (too high) then maybe a lack of buyers might bring on some discounting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually happy that they priced it high so not everyone can afford one and end up like the grom that is every where.
    still learning.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBikes75 View Post
    I am actually happy that they priced it high so not everyone can afford one and end up like the grom that is every where.
    Including your garage!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

4. Likes 106z50 Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone else spotted a grom out in traffic in the distance,,and thought ,,,
    " those wheels look small ,,,,,and they're 12's ,,!" ,,?
    its engine oil madge ,,,
    Your soaking in it ,,!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so whats the best price anyone has been quoted? Straight off the bat I have seen a dealer send an offer of $4999 plus on roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Diggs a friend of mine bought his grom 12 months ago and got it for $3600 ride away

From memory the grom rrp was more than $3999 the brought the price down to help sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmoto View Post
    Diggs a friend of mine bought his grom 12 months ago and got it for $3600 ride away

From memory the grom rrp was more than $3999 the brought the price down to help sales
    Looks like they might already be considering this!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

9. Likes Gasmoto Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess in my case - I'm buying one.

People can rag it as a grom and not a "z50" - but I reckon at some stage in the past someone probably called a J1 an affront to Monkey-dom as it had rear suspension. I've got a few z50's and I like them. It'll be good to have a new one as well.

I'd pretty much always believed the price would be $5500, and put a deposit on one guessing that would be the outcome.

Somewhat obviously, I'll try and get it for the best price I can. But I can't really say I'm surprised they are that price. People try and get the best price they can for any bike they sell, I don't see Honda as being too much different.

11. Thanks Diggs Thanked for this post
    Likes Diggs, ivanthefish Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    People can rag it as a grom and not a "z50" - but I reckon at some stage in the past someone probably called a J1 an affront to Monkey-dom as it had rear suspension. I've got a few z50's and I like them. It'll be good to have a new one as well.
    That's a really good point Magilla that I hadnt thought about it that way.
    I love my J1 - but yeah I am sure it "wasnt a monkey" when first released according to the enthusiasts - time will tell!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    That's a really good point Magilla that I hadnt thought about it that way.
    I love my J1 - but yeah I am sure it "wasnt a monkey" when first released according to the enthusiasts - time will tell!
    I think you'd be hard pressed to have found an enthusiast for any form of motorised transport back in the late 60's/early 70's A9x Torana's and GTHO Phase III Falcons were considered expensive family hacks, the old man used his HK Monaro as a paddock basher before he sold it, he said several times he a) wouldn't have used it as a paddock basher, and b) never sold it, if he knew it'd be a $100,000 car today! goes for all his cars that he got rid of back in his young days, 2 door pillarless 55 Chevy, front disc brake Mini Cooper S, and the car I was brought home from the hospital in, a Mazda RX3 coupe! but back then they were worth nothing, makes me cry when I think about it today

The only reason there are enthusiasts of the J1's/JZ's is because of their age, me personally, it's the size, I don't care how people modify their original monkeys as they should be ridden, not hided - well to me any way I love them but I'm not an enthusiast, I just love how small they are, and hence why there is no way I'd be getting a new one, a rebadged and over priced grom, they'll drop faster than a lead balloon in price over the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I think you'd be hard pressed to have found an enthusiast for any form of motorised transport back in the late 60's/early 70's A9x Torana's and GTHO Phase III Falcons were considered expensive family hacks, the old man used his HK Monaro as a paddock basher before he sold it, he said several times he a) wouldn't have used it as a paddock basher, and b) never sold it, if he knew it'd be a $100,000 car today! goes for all his cars that he got rid of back in his young days, 2 door pillarless 55 Chevy, front disc brake Mini Cooper S, and the car I was brought home from the hospital in, a Mazda RX3 coupe! but back then they were worth nothing, makes me cry when I think about it today

The only reason there are enthusiasts of the J1's/JZ's is because of their age, me personally, it's the size, I don't care how people modify their original monkeys as they should be ridden, not hided - well to me any way I love them but I'm not an enthusiast, I just love how small they are, and hence why there is no way I'd be getting a new one, a rebadged and over priced grom, they'll drop faster than a lead balloon in price over the next few years.
    Let's not start talking about the cars/bikes we've sold over the years that would be worth a small fortune these days.

I know a guy that sold his 240z about 4 years ago for 25k and thought he did well - same car sold for 60k a few months ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Let's not start talking about the cars/bikes we've sold over the years that would be worth a small fortune these days.

I know a guy that sold his 240z about 4 years ago for 25k and thought he did well - same car sold for 60k a few months ago
    Ok ok we won't talk about previous cars we owned ..........buuuut..........it was a Walkinshaw for me, sold it back in 2001 for $26,000, a mid range one went for $100,000 a few months back, and a low K one (5,200km's on the clock) went for $360,000 last month

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Ok ok we won't talk about previous cars we owned ..........buuuut..........it was a Walkinshaw for me, sold it back in 2001 for $26,000, a mid range one went for $100,000 a few months back, and a low K one (5,200km's on the clock) went for $360,000 last month
    Ok, so we ARENT doing this then?

The ones that hurt for me are Mini GT Clubman and CB750.

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone picked one up yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stellio78 View Post
    Anyone picked one up yet?
    Anyone ?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiesuncle View Post
    Anyone ?????
    I am yet to see one

Forum Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    What are your thoughts about your new Monkey ?

Better than a Grom ?

Forum Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mate I love the new monkey have never ridden a grom, infact I have never ridden an original monkey I have a custom j model started and a Mexican yellow z50 that I hope to restore one day that I have never ridden, I usually ride a Harley so the little monkey has been a hoot, it goes great can turn on a ten cent piece and handles excellently

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_4378.jpgC4BDE353-A3E1-4520-B5D2-A651DF436A4C.jpg

Well I decided to take one for "the TEAM" and test the new monkey 125.

With 100kgs on the saddle, handles 100Km/h against wind wide open. tyres are wider and taller than the grom. It has front wheel ABS, the seat is extremely comfortable.

Overall the bike is very smooth, single rider vs rider+pillion on the grom. I found the retro style speedo very hard to see in plain daylight, perhaps i'm getting too old??

Local dealer $5800 ride away....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well no joy at my local Honda dealer, no bikes, but I did get a nice brochure ......

Nice choice Argie, we better get a ride organised, what does your crystal ball have listed for November 18th ? I should be close by

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiesuncle View Post
    Well no joy at my local Honda dealer, no bikes, but I did get a nice brochure ......

Nice choice Argie, we better get a ride organised, what does your crystal ball have listed for November 18th ? I should be close by
    my working roster goes to 11th November, so i'll keep you posted as we get closer...

Forum Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got mine from a dealer in South Oz called Moto Adelaide $5370 ride away, had a black one on the floor and were assembling a red one out the back when we wheeled mine out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s29 View Post
    Got mine from a dealer in South Oz called Moto Adelaide $5370 ride away, had a black one on the floor and were assembling a red one out the back when we wheeled mine out
    The prices are starting to sound more reasonable than the firm $5999 (OTR) when they first came out, Mr Honda softening his stance on price based on lack of sales?????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12