Thread: [GROM][DIY] Blinker buzzer...

L Plater
    Post Thanks / Like

[GROM][DIY] Blinker buzzer...

On most of my road bikes I had installed a buzzer which alerts me to having forgotten to cancel the blinker. Usually I have put the buzzer in the headlight casing and used the front blinker lines as power source. On the Grom I found it easier to tap into the lines to the rear blinkers under the seat. The circuit consists of two isolating diodes (1N4004) and a waterproof buzzer from Jaycar. Over years of riding I have had a few close calls (and angry fist-waving) when I have left blinkers going.

The buzzer eliminates all that.

I'll put up pictures and a rough schematic if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Steve

2. Likes Z50Monkey Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy the 'beeping' indicator unit.....like postie's have.

L Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You can buy the 'beeping' indicator unit.....like postie's have.
    Didn't know you could do this.

Thanks.

Are they 120 dB SPL at the blinker (distance = 0 cm) these days ? They weren't in the past. I have found they have to be bordering on really annoying to be effective - especially with a loud exhaust. The one I use is 80 dBA @ 1 metre - which meets the 'almost annoying' criteria.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Hook up the flasher unit to a coil and wire to seat, that'll stop you forgetting its on.

6. Likes SteveO Liked this post
    L Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I'll put up pictures and a rough schematic if anyone is interested.
    Actually - I won't, as I see there are many examples available via Mr. Google. One variation I thought was clever was using the brake light line instead of the ground for the negative supply for the buzzer. This means while sitting at the lights with the brake on, the buzzer is silent. Only when moving off with blinkers on does the buzzer sound. Not sure how that would work with the lower current LED brake light of the Grom. I also would be putting in a blocking diode in the negative line to the buzzer to prevent reverse-polarity when braking and the blinkers are off. As I said, I thought this was clever in concept, but I prefer the arrangement I use - so this will go untested.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought it was a matter of just replacing the bulb with a flasher/buzzer bulb? Like this but for indicators https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beeping-Rev.../dp/B001MN0WIO

I know Oldbikes usually has them on his, but not sure how he goes about achieving it?
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

9. Likes SteveO Liked this post
    L Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    I always thought it was a matter of just replacing the bulb with a flasher/buzzer bulb? Like this but for indicators https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beeping-Rev.../dp/B001MN0WIO
    Good suggestion. The lack of specs would make me hesitate as well as mixed reviews - especially about not being loud enough. Being an electrical engineer I prefer to keep things under my own thumb (as well as being a control freak)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe wait and see if OldBikes chimes in - he's had that feature on all the bikes I have seen him ride, easy fix isnt necessarily always the best fix though!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

12. Likes SteveO Liked this post