Thread: babu Super Cub C100

Post Thanks / Like

babu Super Cub C100

A bit quiet on the build front lately so I'll entertain you folks (and me) with pics of my cub... I know you like pics ☺

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

2. Thanks Classic Honda 50's Thanked for this post
    Charter Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is anyone who can make this look cool you are the one.
    Old hondas don't die......they wait.

4. Thanks babu Thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    now thats a real barn find. Don't forget to keep the stickers, theyre rippers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool stickers hey.

What's the year cubster?

Post Thanks / Like
    let me know when ya build this Thuc, i have a speedo in good condition you can have if ya want it..... free post too.
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

8. Thanks babu Thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mate, collecting parts but don't think it will be anytime soon. Not just cos I'm still in a sling at the moment but there's 2 unfinished builds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Babu. nice find. best guess early - mid 60’s. pre 60 had 2 adjusters on the clutch cover and a few other different features. let me know if you need help with anything. i have the Honda parts book too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they the same motor as QA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers cubster.

Peter, they are more like CZ motors than QA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine is exactly like CZ100. Actually the CZ just uses the C100 engine. Not sure if the gear eat is the same though. there is a manual clutch version too that was used in the c110

Post Thanks / Like
    They have different carbs right? Or are the carbs different between cub year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right is the cub engine from this bike left was from a custom mini bike but don't know what it was originally from... different carbs. The left engine looks older than the right, doesn't even have the honda logo on the stator cover and engine number starts 53..

Carbs are different

20180303_224322.jpg

20180303_224427.jpg

16. Likes Peter Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one without the logo on the stator cover is older.
    It should have only one inlet on the carb and ignition coil is built
    into the stator. very tricky if you are rebuilding as internals on
    the earlier engines vary. ask me how i know! first c100 engines were built
    in 58. i have a 59 engine that has a small brass plate on the top near stator
    wires stating engine is 50cc. are you using either engine in your build? they look
    nice detailed.

Post Thanks / Like
    early cubs pre 61 as far as i know had the one inlet on carb as tank
    only had one outlet. after that Honda switched to the two outlets on the tank
    one of which was reserve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hand painted number plate? That's awesome!

I know this will turn out great, what's the plan?
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought several early cubs from SA. all had the hand painted plates. I couldn't be bothered drilling out the screws on one and left it on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never opened up a push rod motor before, cub or QA so will be interested to rebuild one... i know the left motor runs well. Plan is the right side motor put back into cub, new plastics and tidy up and paint. The motor on the left tho will be a special build... it will be THE LAST build! ☺

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by babu View Post
    ... it will be THE LAST build! ☺
    Last last, or LAST last????
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

23. Likes raytriplej Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol... seriously Diggs when you see me build the bike for that motor is will be the last cos it is pretty much full custom, like you've never seen a build like it b4 😉 i can't wait but don't want to start it with the outstanding bikes unfinished...

25. Likes Diggs Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Babu, that early engine could be out of a cz100. I was told by a bloke who worked at Honda dealer years ago there were only 60 CZ100's imported into OZ. If yours just has the number 53 on the engine, maybe it is was from the 53rd cz imported here. maybe some of the cz guys know more. I am working on a mates white cz at the moment. It is an early model recently imported here, white tank, no speedo and has the ignition coil in the stator. I don't know if the local cz's had that ignition setup as they were the later bike with the red tank. If you want a genuine front guard i may have one to spare although it will be green. I do have some engine bits too. Let me know if you need any help ordering parts as things like gaskets, ignition parts, pistons, pushrods, kick starter shafts can be tricky as they were changed several times over the years. As far as i know the pushrod cub engines shares nothing with the QA engine other than being made by HONDA.

Post Thanks / Like
    btw you can up the compression a bit by using the piston from a c110. The c110 had an alloy head too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thanks for the info... oh yeah just noticed from the pic that there is no coil visible, spark plug lead straight out of the cover, where as the cub engine has an external coil under the tank. Engine number not just 53 tho but 5375 and the number stamping handy work is about as straight as my work..lol.. when i got it, there was a thin piece of aluminium over where the engine number is and the engine numbers stamped over it, that piece has peeled off and I vaguely remember it had c100e- on the top line that never made it through to the engine case, then the numbers 5375 under. I've lost the aluminium plate, similar to a frame comp plate in thickness. It peeled off a number of years ago and didn't think much of it.

20180304_214455.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    hey cubster you might be on to something...just had a quick look at some white tank CZs on the web and they have the same coil setup... and the carb fuel inlet same too, faces the rear, where as cub is to the side... too bad i don''t have a white tank (only a black one lol...) or CZ body to go with the engine. I already have plans for this engine otherwise could try and knock up a white CZ

cz100 whitetank.JPG

cz100 whitetank1.JPG

M50NKE can confirm this... http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...100-white-tank

Post Thanks / Like
    An E after the C100 makes it a 62 build. The same carb on that engine was used on the cub as well in the same year so the engine could be out either bike. I've seen a few engines with those plated attached to the crankcase and plenty of horribly stamped numbers. Guess they were making so many back then using older slower processes before they ramped up production.