Thread: new guy

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like

new guy

hi all
    just another old fart here reliving my youth . im more into the deltek / decksons as i couldnt afford a honda as a kid:-).

i had a deltek rockhopper as a kid around 1970 and in the last 6 months started buying a couple of bikes and parts i want to do a concourse resto on a rockhopper at the moment i have bought two almost complete rockhoppers one deckson dare devil and a grand prix standard, the dare devil is the first one i am doing its all stripped down and awaiting to go the powder coaters next will be one of the rockhoppers . i plan to turn the grand prix into a trike i saw one done and was pretty impressed by the pictures of it ..
    i cant believe how many people are still interested in all the min bikes of the era and great to see so many restored bikes of all makes .
    cheers for now deano

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Z50Monkey Liked this post
    P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like

Forum Founder Classic Honda 50's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

My first bike was a Deltek Grand Prix with a Villiers cement mixer motor in it that I still have and after that my parents bought me a new Red Deltek Rockhopper in the mid 70's for $149.99 at the time.

Sold both bikes to a school mate who used the 4 wheels to make a go cart

Cheers

Jaimie
    Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at -Hidden Content

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Deano - promise we wont hold your obscure taste against you!

I have what I believe to be a Grand Prix that I started resto on - got a bit side tracked with other projects but I have the frame/forks and wheels painted and new rubber on, cleaned up the bars and top plate a little - not done too much more than that yet!

23376470_10159435604885543_5542528483843900519_n.jpg
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    some times its hard to tell whats what as over the yrs people swap parts out with stuff from other bikes to keep them going . yours has the footpegs in the forward position i think the grand prix well mine anyway has them further back and it looks like yours has the alloy headstem like the delteks used. your engine mount plate is one piece there normally 2 bars at a guess i would call yours a deltek grass grub with a modified engine plate ..................of course i could be miles out lol

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats sacrilge when my son was young i bought a couple of rockhoppers for 200 bucks each and when he got tired of them we sold them for about the same price now you pay a 1000 bucks plus for a complete rockhopper that needs a resto .
    i love the red ones with the chrome tank and gaurds . the tanks are like rocking hose poo to find there was one on ebay that had no chrome and about 20 layers of paint and it went for 310 bucks with plenty of bidders and then the cost of getting them chromed it starts to get expensive to do these things up but i suspect its no different with the hondas either but it looks like there are more after market parts for the hondas seeing they was sold world wide and the deltek/ decksons was only sold here .

9. Likes Z50Monkey Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Dean, have you picked it up from transport yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it seems they were offered in many different kits and formats so nailing down what's "right" is damn near impossible.

Mine came with a rare 19 coats of paint option
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome new guy, nice bikes you have there, i have a scrambler and I think unifilters were the cool upgrades in the days... http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...ight=scrambler

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the gang. Done a few rockhoppers over the years, last one was a pool room special for the younger brother.

P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi there tinman
    yes picked it up Thursday just gone pretty happy with it took 5 mins and had it running had sat in a shed for the last 12 yrs . bit of fresh fuel and some start ya ******* and away it went

15. Likes Tinman Liked this post
    P Plater
    Post Thanks / Like
    one of these will end up as a pool room special. one of the others i will use as a pit bike at the track where we race and flog off the Chinese bike i have with the hotted up 6.5 honda that ive been using