Thread: Swamp Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Swamp Monkey

I had a bare z50r frame laying about and 3 weeks of annual leave to fill with a project.
    I am a huge fan of garage sales and go hunting for junk most Saturdays. Just before work broke up for Xmas I found a pair of golf cart wheels with tyres for $15 and the cogs in my head started turning..........
    I really missed my Suzuki RV90 that I sold a number of years ago and decided to build something similar but hopefully all Honda.

Well 3 weeks is almost up and my idea is slowly coming together so I thought I would post up some photos and see what others thought of the idea.

Still a bunch of things to do obviously. The lower triple will need to be raised and the stem shortened to suit.

I will be making up an offset sprocket with outboard support bearing.

The top rear shock mounts will be extended and tied together to a new seat mount and custom seat added
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AstroGoat; 3rd January 2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Whatever

Post Thanks / Like
    Next up is turning up some axles from 4140 to replace the threaded rod.
    Astute readers will recognise the atc70 front end.
    Rear brakes only at this stage.
    Axle tubes are fabricated then turned true on a lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fatrax z50.

Post Thanks / Like
    This short clip explains its origins perfectly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXq6b3COeMY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroGoat View Post

I have no idea what I just watched, but I love the bike mate! I love ANYTHING with fat wheels, and monkeys with fat wheels are just ACE in my books!

Looking forward to more build pics.

Got any rego bikes for Monkey Rides? 11 on the New Years Day ride!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Post Thanks / Like

Brain Dead! One of Peter Jackson's (Lord of the Rings) earlier movies - that and Bad Taste are AWESOME!!

7. Likes Diggs, AstroGoat Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The old guy at the end of the clip reveals the bikes pedigree.
    "The story goes that big rats scurried off the slave-ships and raped all the little tree-monkeys"

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some 4140 turned up into axle bolts and am waiting for the dollars to accumulate to fit new seals and bearings, chain guards ect.
    The hope is to bolt up everything again this week to get exact offset for the sprocket. Fabricating and machining shouldn't take long after that.
    No regoed bikes unfortunately Diggs. I have a Munster here that needs some attention, but that will have to wait for me to summon the right demon.

Post Thanks / Like
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    A lick of paint and z50a brake plate polished.
    Spindles just need to be tapped m12x1.25

I really want to redo the rear axle to bring the sprocket carrier/spacer back down to about 10mm thick. The seperate spacer is required to carry the seal and to allow the rim to fit over that end of the hub. The only reason it is so thick is coz I screwed up. It will work for now though and that can be a job for later

Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to get some time in the shed today and made a start at the offset sprocket.
    The shots look like there is misalignment but it must be the lens on my phone. A straightedge says otherwise with both sprockets lining up at the same offset from the centreline. Within a couple of mm anyway which is good enough for me.

I will be welding the sprockets to the extension. I realise this is going to affect the temper on the teeth and centre, but I will do it anyway as this is just a test sprocket to make sure everything is going to work. I will get fresh sprockets for the final one and may look at case hardening it in the backyard with a steel box in the fire and my old work boots for the carbon.
    It will be interesting at least to see how the first sprockets fare without being re-hardened.

The second sprocket hints at where this project may go.

The swing arm bolt has an extended head which I will be fixing to the bearing support. You can see it in one of the photos.
    The other two fix points will likely be the top engine mount and two screw hole at the bottom of the cases below the sprocket.

The idea is to build as much as possible to make the build cost as close to zero as is possible. Also just a fun exercise in good old fashioned Aussie back shed bodgery as opposed to just throwing money at

IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    Last edited by AstroGoat; 20th January 2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Coz I can

12. Likes TRIKEDYA, z nut Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How would you be doing a double flange , to allow a bolt on bolt off setup on them ,?
    its engine oil madge ,,,
    Your soaking in it ,,!!

14. Likes AstroGoat Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will consider that Dex. Open to ideas. I thought the 2x6mm bolts looked a little pissy as they are only really meant to hold the retaining clip and aren't sized to take the shear forces that the countershaft spline actually takes. If I could enlarge them to 8mm and used grade 12.9 bolts it might work. Perhaps judicious application of a heating torch to the 2 holes would only soften that area and allow me to drill to a larger size without affecting the heat treatment on the teeth themselves.
    Hah, thats mk2 sprocket thought out. Thanks for the idea.
    That would make it possible to switch around the ratios without having to fabricate a new assy. I tossed around the idea of using a section of countershaft to incorporate a spline like the original, but either welding the shaft or having to gash a set of splines on my floppy old lathe relegated them to the improbable bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found 9" wide alloy mudguards manufactured here in Oz for what I think is a very good price. One fender has enough material for both guards on the bike and is just over 100 bucks delivered! They are not the dodgy flat top fenders, they have a radius over the top too.

http://https://www.mrmudguard.com.au/collections/smooth-aluminum-fenders-and-gaurds/products/dr-9-22-25-rta-9-x-22-25-inch-smooth-aluminium-single-axle-double-radius-round-top

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to put the seat and tank back onto my 82 z50r, so I am looking for another tank for this bike.
    I want to only use Japanese parts on this one, and it is no longer viable to bring them into the country via post.
    Anyone out there with something that will suit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a little done on the bearing housing

The bearing will be held in with an internal circlip and the shaft will have a circlip on each side of the bearing to restrain the assy from moving around on the engines output shaft. There's space for a seal on the inside face to keep sludge out of the bearing. The outer side will have a bit of alloy screwed on to seal that side.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Just have to bend over the tabs and then start to tack together in situ
    While laying out the cutouts I found that I will tie the bearing carrier to top engine mount, the swing arm pivot and onto the footrest mounts.

19. Likes babu Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top idea on the guards .
    Love the can do or will " make " do attitude your showing on this project .
    No doubt a tank will show up .
    its engine oil madge ,,,
    Your soaking in it ,,!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving the skills to make this stuff up, i can hardly tie my own shoelaces!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

Post Thanks / Like
    gee shucks, thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    rippa build mate, cant wait to see more.
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good, brings back memory of my side cover hack work.. lol..

Got a little done on the bearing housing

The bearing will be held in with an internal circlip and the shaft will have a circlip on each side of the bearing to restrain the assy from moving around on the engines output shaft. There's space for a seal on the inside face to keep sludge out of the bearing. The outer side will have a bit of alloy screwed on to seal that side.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Just have to bend over the tabs and then start to tack together in situ
    While laying out the cutouts I found that I will tie the bearing carrier to top engine mount, the swing arm pivot and onto the footrest mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been in the same situation babu? Any photos of your solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah on my BabuG build but I don't think there are any photos left in the thread... will dig them out when i have a moment, should be on the PC somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found these bad boys in the back shed. Not much use for anything else so I might pop one of these on it. Should be throaty
    IMG_0586.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After a little thought I decided to turn up a mandrel to jig the bearing carrier while it is being welded. It goes right through a set of empty cases that are then bolted into the frame
    IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait to see this thing coming together wait - loving it already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been in the same situation babu? Any photos of your solution?
    How many pics do you want, have i got pics lol...

20140517_232125_zpsbb2028df.jpg

20140521_090433_zpsaea63b14.jpg

20140522_085852_zpse8abdc1a.jpg

20140524_152541_zps3fa43159.jpg

IMG_0661_zps4e426ea9.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey it's funny how form follows function leading us to similar design. Yours is of course much more elegant than my very agricultural solution. No durability issues? I have likely over engineered. It's hard to guess what is required as far as rigidity ect. The proof is always in the pudding.
    Love the use of the router for milling. Right up my alley.
    Thanks for posting that, I will surely reference it in the future.

Didn't get much done this long weekend as I had picked up a new bike and was fussing over it and trying to squeeze it into my very crowded storage unit.

32. Likes dex Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally a break in the rain today so I got out to the shed for a little bit.
    Finally cut the circlip groove in the bearing support and all tacked up in position.
    I'll take it to work tomorrow to weld in situ and clean it up. I also cut the chain case area away from an engine side cover so it will fit. I will likely drill some weight out of the support once welded and enclose the open bits with aluminium bashed to shape.

IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg

I am considering a conversion to triangulated swingarm with monoshock. I would just add to the swingarm I have so far but am unsure geometry wise how to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some dies arrived in the mail this afternoon so I cut the threads on the two axles. I will zinc plate them with the spacers this weekend fingers crossed
    Support is now done

IMG_0141.jpg

35. Likes z nut Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bashed some metal today. Need to do cut out on the mudguard and I will further enclose the sprocket area with 2 additional parts which I will weld together to form a single piece.
    The shocks I have are too long but will hold off getting shorteR ones at this stage until I get a better idea as to the stance as it comes together
    IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg

37. Likes KO Kong, dex Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I miss it or did you mention where that swingarm came from and what width tyres you are running?

Post Thanks / Like
    I fabricated the swingarm
    The tyres are 18x8.5-8

Post Thanks / Like
    I fabricated the swingarm
    Cracking effort mate! Looks like a bought one! I actually thought it might have been froman RV90 - looks a lot like the one on my Skyteam RV90 copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the build quality like on the t-Rex. Never seen one in the wild

Post Thanks / Like
    As with all Skyteam stuff it's pretty ordinary. All the bolts fall out and the "Stainless Steel" rusted within 12 months.

I still like it though, will be going up for sale soon though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought as much.
    That's why I like hondas......they're good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been prevented from entering the shed for a while now. First scorching heat, then rain. As I work from a shipping container, any extreme of weather drives me indoors.
    I finally got the forks modified
    I moved the bottom triple mount moved up 50mm and the stem shortened. I cut the stem and inserted a turned spigot into the two halves with a good 6mm gap which I then filled with weld then a couple of drilled holes 30mm each side of the join were also plug welded to further tie the spigot to the stem completed the join. I've done it before and it works well.
    The bottom bearing race will need to be packed up a couple of mm as the atc70 and z50r setup is very slightly different.

IMG_0151.jpg

Also got the atc bars a bit straighter and fixed the brake perch which I will use for the clutch as it is on the left hand side and I don't need a front brake at this stage.