Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ricky's JZ build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dex, I only went Taki as Webike had the month long special and I had a good win on the crypto's so thought why not! otherwise I would've been very happy with another GPX when this one let go. Not as refined as the Taki motors and not as nice to look at but I did like the way they delivered their power, not really much under 4,000 rpm so you could drop the clutch at take off without fear of lifting the front wheel, but once they got going it was dead even with a few of the 106 4v's over here and was only down to the gear changes as to who won

Magilla, it's the 123 4v motor with the TAF 5 speed and slipper clutch. The special they had meant the 123 4v, 138 4v and 148 2v motors were all the same price! The GPX had enough power for me and made my bike fun to ride, it wasn't trying to kill me! so didn't want the 138 or 148 as I think it wouldn't be fun anymore. I seriously looked at the desmo 124 as it was only $2,000 more ($4,500 just for the head on Webike!) but again, I think it would put it into the "not fun" category. The stupid thing was the DOHC version was $1,000 more than the 4v but you'd have to buy a new exhaust as the exhaust mount on the heads are a different angle to the 4v heads (desmo heads have the same angle as the 4v), so either go DOHC and buy a new exhaust, or for the price of that, buy the desmo and keep your standard exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    A cracker of a choice. The daytona inserts, disc setup and that motor will make this great bike to ride.

Is the motor in yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    lol not yet, still need to get a carby for her and still deciding if I pull her apart and powder coat it black to keep the theme like the GPX, until then she's sitting patiently in my lounge room

4. Likes babu Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice motor, 123 is a great choice... i can see a yoshi cr-mini 22 to match the pipe ☺

Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be a hell of a bike mate, great job on the disc conversion - even if it took you a few goes to work out.

When my J1 gets back on the road I'll be investigating disc front end to match 125cc upgrade (still unsure if this is required in QLD or not - few guys have needed it, others have not). Probably prefer stock look with drums - but I guess we'll see what the RWC guys says!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Babu, will be interesting to see how it goes, close with the carby it'll be a Yoshi but an MJN28, only concern is it fitting under the tank!

Yeh Diggs it should be a little animal when I drop it in I'm not sure how your DOT does things over there but here as soon as you do any modification they brush you off to an engineer, and as mine was an engine upgrade I needed to do the brake test which was stop in a specified distance from various speeds, the drums had no problem with that so the engineer signed off on it. Not sure if it would be the same in QLD?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't paint that beautiful engine black.................................just do something with the stator and clutch cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that no one at QLD Transport can answer the question and anyone that CAN answer the question is very evasive and basically wants to do a Engineers Report on it which will say either yes or no.

So I could spend the $ on getting that to be done, just to then be told to go and do the disc conversion. Sigh................

Anyway glad to see it coming together so well - need to be bloody quick to keep up with those boys in WA!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubster View Post
    I wouldn't paint that beautiful engine black.................................just do something with the stator and clutch cover.
    That's the two best parts of a Taki motor! the rest is just...motor

Yeh it's annoying Diggs, I'm sort of glad it's very black and white here, any modification you need to get the ok from the DOT (just to stop stupid stuff like a 250cc in a Monkey!), so fill in the form, get the ok to go to an engineer, he does all his tests and signs it off, then you go over the pits where they check all your lights. The stopping distance the bike needs to stop in at each speed is also on the WA page so I could test it before hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    So - that motor having a "4SM" prefix - that means it's got a different head stud pattern to a normal z50 motor, yeah?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me as I think the clutch covers are different too between the Honda and Taki inner cases. If I go down the powder coating path I didn't want to use the green cases as I think that's a waste, so was going to swap them with a mate who has chrome ones, but after comparing photos they look different as you can see from the depth from the clutch cable support bracket:

Taki inner cases:

Honda inner cases:

But won't really know until we compare both cases to see if it fits, but it does look like the step down compensates as you can see in the taki case, the oil filler cap cuts into it, where the Honda Taki doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's been 2 months since I got the motor and it finally went in last weekend! but during this time I had some small dramas with items falling off the bike, like indicators! I had one snap it's bracket and destroy my rear guard and put a nice dent in my rear swing arm I know indicators are usually plastic but I have some nice aluminum ones that I think look cool, only problem is they're heavy.

The vibrations in the bike caused the bracket to crack which dropped the indicator onto my rear wheel, which then fired it into my rear guard, then back down into the tyre, then into my swing arm and then out the side. The indicator and rear guard were destroyed.

While I was changing the motor I wanted to do the rear guard and change the rear tyre at the same time - as the tyre was just on its wear limiters so needed replacing.

As the bike doesn't stay with me (lives at the folks place as they have the room and it's closer to everyone else who rides, so easier to drive the 40 minutes to the bike, than ride it all the way up there), so it only comes to my place for major work like this.

Well I took Cubster's advice and only powder coated the clutch and stator cover, I left the rest of the motor how it was as it would've been too much work to do the whole motor. We found out the covers can't be swapped with my mates motor as mine is a "start in any gear" and his isn't, so they're different, so just powder coated mine. I didn't realise the clutch cover was painted (a different green to the stator cover!), as I thought it was powder coated, so took me 2 weeks and a whole tin of paint stripper to get it all off - Taki do paint things well!

Off to the powder coater

2 weeks later...

14. Thanks Magilla Thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All bolted back onto the motor with the carby to make sure it would all fit.

Now if you're on the FB page you probably would've seen my post on this, so for the people that don't have FB this is for you I registered this bike in December 2016 with a brand new GPX in it (same one I pulled out below), it has been 71 weeks since then and it's done 6834km's in that time, that's 96km's per week on average! it's only a weekend bike and not a daily rider, I've also been on holidays for 3 of those weeks (I didn't ride it as I wasn't in the country), and it's been off the road for about 4 weeks with rebuilds. There's also been rainy weekend's in there too when we didn't go out, so us WA folk do get a bit of riding in

Motor out

Carby was going to be the problem as it looked like it was going to be tight, it was but only because of the air cleaner, I'll try and find a longer inlet for it to get it away from the petcock.

Just got it ready for a late ride on Saturday, still need to do a few things like get the jetting 100%, it's about 95% now so that will be this weekend taken care of, then when that is done I'll hook the oil cooler up as the lines will be in the way of the carby, and that will be annoying every time we need to take the carby off to put new jets in it!

Final words on the motor: The power delivery is stunning, just wants to rev all the way to 14,000! it didn't try and kill me which I thought it would, I thought I'd have to be very tentative as it would be just wanting to put the front wheel in the air all the time, but it just doesn't! I'm not sure if it's because we don't have the jetting 100% or because of my custom front end (which is heavy) is keeping it down, but I'm happy it doesn't either way

I've gone with a 16/32 gearing which is what I had on the GPX, power is fantastic, just goes really hard and sits on 5,000rpm in 5th at 60km/h, so the gearing looks about spot on.

One last little issue if the stator, we think it might be too small, it keeps the power up ok (I have all LED's on the bike), but I did loose the indicators mid ride - while everything else was ok! so could just be the indicator switch, so will check that out on the weekend to see if that's the problem, probably will be as you usually loose everything electrical, not just the indicators.

16. Likes babu Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's real nice
    Life is too short for cheap carbs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! What's the vibration like on this motor compared to the old?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    That's real nice
    Thanks Matty

Quote Originally Posted by babu View Post
    Nice! What's the vibration like on this motor compared to the old?
    A lot less but still plenty there, my "measuring stick" is how quickly my hands go numb with the GPX I would be trying to get blood back into them after about 20 minutes, the other day it was nearly an hour each time, so not bad. I want to balance the wheels one day too, as I think a lot of the shake comes from that.

Oh and I've stolen your idea with the oil cooler lines coming out of the motor too

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the wrinkle style paint on the taki covers, looks bloody great Ricky. The whole bike looks great!

Bet it's a blast to ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Oh and I've stolen your idea with the oil cooler lines coming out of the motor too
    Cool, so do you want my credit card details for a deposit or do you want to wait until you install the engine dampers ? Hehe... be curious to see if they make any difference. On the babuG bike I think I used those fender mount rubber grommets to secure them to reduce vibrations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Love the wrinkle style paint on the taki covers, looks bloody great Ricky. The whole bike looks great!

Bet it's a blast to ride!
    Thanks Diggs, there were the two types of wrinkle I could've used but the other is for Harley's and is a lot rougher, looks good on the bigger bikes but would've filled in the "Taki" on both covers so didn't use it. Yeh it's completely changed the ride of the bike, plenty more power and such a free revving motor! the GPX would be rattling your eyes out around 11,000rpm, this motor will go to 14,000 without any effort!

Oh and it's F*CKING loud! I mean "tearing a whole in the space/time continuum" type loud, it's great

Quote Originally Posted by babu View Post
    Cool, so do you want my credit card details for a deposit or do you want to wait until you install the engine dampers ? Hehe... be curious to see if they make any difference. On the babuG bike I think I used those fender mount rubber grommets to secure them to reduce vibrations.
    unfortunately it'll be a while before I do that modification, I'll need to strip the bike completely and need to paint the frame again, as it was just done 6 months ago, it will probably be when this new motor needs a rebuild which might be 2 years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Thanks Diggs, there were the two types of wrinkle I could've used but the other is for Harley's
    Probably would have fallen off

Post Thanks / Like
    and be twice the price

25. Likes Diggs Liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123