Any one replated there own parts? Nickel/chrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one replated there own parts? Nickel/chrome

Just wondering has any one replated there own parts I've picked up a old z50a brake pedal that needs to be replated. From what I've read it's small voltage/currents some pure nickel and vinegar.

This could be a very interesting thread if you pull it off! I pay about $50 for 90 parts (bolts arms nuts etc) to be zinc plated.
    Life's too fun for expensive Carbs...

Comment

If I've got a old part I'll give it a crack. I'm sure I can find something to have a crack at.

I highly doubt there is anyone local that does it do if prolly be looking at another $20-30 in delivery costs

Comment

http://m.instructables.com/id/High-Q...mon-Questions/

Comment

Nickel plating kits,zinc plating kits, copper plating kits, gold plating kits.

Have a look at these kits: http://www.janekits.com.au/mainframe.php

Pretty sure there are a few forum members that have used their kits.

Cheers

Jaimie
          Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

I've been zinc plating parts using materials from Coles, Bunnings and BCF as well as a variable DC power supply I made thirty years ago and wires.

I think the info came from http://www.cb750.com/threads/724-Hom...Electroplating

The zinc anode from BCF. Any high quality chunk of zinc would do.
            Vinegar
            Zinc sulfate from the garden section
            saccharine to make the crystals line up for a shiny finish
            water
            Epsom salts have been mentioned but I didn't use it the second time I plated.
            I sand blast then polish with fine steel wool for a clean smooth part before going in the solution for 20 minutes
            Only three or so volts otherwise the plating goes lumpy and rough.
            Way way too much time doing this.

Most on the right side has not been rubbed with fine steel wool.
            Some painted instead of zinc'd
            This is probably thirty hours or more of work over a couple of months

You're only young once but you can ride a monkey forever.

Red Z50AK2 U 1974 - Blue Z50AK2 U 1973 - Yellow Z50AK2 U 1974 - 2 x Gold ST70 K0 DAX
            Red ST50 DAX registration lapsed - XL250S 1978 - 3 x SUZUKI TC185 1974/1975 - TS185 1990

Comment

Working...
            X