Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting exhaust

Hi everybody,
    Has anybody got a sure fire way to paint an exhaust?

All tips & type / brand of paint info will be appreciated.

Vht have a high temp paint. I'd be googleing extractor paint.

Comment

Yeah pretty much that just heat proof paint I've used it on exhausts and engine blocks restoring cars that run high temps in engine bays and can't fault it

Comment

light coats ,,,let it sit for a while ,, followed by bunging it in a low temp oven each time to cure it ,,

best done when the miss is gone somewhere
        its engine oil madge ,,,
        Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
          light coats ,,,let it sit for a while ,, followed by bunging it in a low temp oven each time to cure it ,,

best done when the miss is gone somewhere
          Don't forget to air out the oven, or the Sunday roast will have a strange taste.

But follow Dex's advice. The oven worked for me.

Z50Monkey
          Andrew

Comment

hahaha ...
            should be ,,, whilst the miss is visiting the mother in law's for a few days .......

never done it with a fan forced oven tho ,,,,, anyone eloborate ,,?

have also seen " printed " , and heard of folks spraying the insides of the exhausts ,,
            its engine oil madge ,,,
            Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gros21 View Post
              Vht have a high temp paint. I'd be googleing extractor paint.
              Yep VHT Header paint, VHT products work well
              Need a new motor.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will use the BBQ with the roasting hood on rather than the wife's Bosch fan forced oven, I think it will be safer - not for the oven but for me.

Comment

Black.

I use the VHT CASE paint SP-903, sets as a black oxide finish as original !

For Reproduction Monkey Bike - Wiring Harness', Key switch and ignition components, repairs and custom work - https://www.facebook.com/monkeypowerinc

Comment

I'd use the one on the left. Different temperature range. All motorbike shops should have it and probably supercheap as well.
                    Get your monkey on

Comment

You blokes are awesome, thank you so much for the info. Of to Autobahn to get some cans. Now to buff the surface rust off the exhaust.

Comment

just came back from the powdercoaters and they do a heat proof powdercoat I seen through the window as the checky buggers knock off at 12noon on fridays
                        has anyone used this heat proof powercoat?
                        if not ill ask them on Tuesday what temp its rated to
                        Restorate not Separate

Comment

Can I ask a stupid question?
                          Are you trying to paint over a chrome exhaust, or tidy up a Matt black/non chrome one?
                          I'd be keen to know if the powder coaters can strip the chrome off an exhaust system and powdercoat it in any colour or finish.
                          Look foreword to your update,

Scoot.

Comment

they'd blast it first ,,
                            cleans them up to get rid of any impuritys .
                            find a powdercoaters with on site blasting equipment ,," and yes there is such places without " ,,
                            the quicker its coated the better ,, fingerprints etc have natural oils that will cause problems with coating ,,,, the less handled the better .
                            its engine oil madge ,,,
                            Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

no such thing as a silly question we all need answers
                              the exhaust I have is chrome you will see it in my build thread I just about to start tonight
                              not sure if I would do it to it its fairly good condition and orginal
                              might try it on a aftermarket low mount exhaust but ill wait till I talk to the powdercoater first to get his opinion
                              Restorate not Separate

Comment

Working...
                              X