This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb piston question

I've got a new piston and it has three grooves but four rings. One wavy one and three normal rings.

Which order do they go in?

image.jpg

Actually it's:

One wavy,
    One medium,
    Two skinny.

I'm guessing the two skinny at the top, medium in the middle and wavy at the bottom?

Comment

I am probably wrong but I thought it was medium in the top then a skinny/wavy/skinny sandwich in the bottom.

Comment

Pretty sure you're right. I pulled the rings out of their packet and they only fit as:
        Medium, skinny and then the wavy and skinny must go together in the last hole.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Actually, I don't think the middle groove is a ring holder, more of a tapered edge?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie View Post
            Actually, I don't think the middle groove is a ring holder, more of a tapered edge?
            yeah don't put any rings in middle grove.

Comment

Top one is compression ring taking the full combustion heat and pressure, skinny/wavy/skinny is an oil scraper setup?
              Can't remember. Too many decades since I last paid attention.

Comment

Thanks Hec, I'm 100% sure it's medium in top hole and skinny/wavy/skinny in bottom hole. It looks correct - so it has to be correct!

I didn't pay attention in the combustion engines section of trade training....

Comment

install like this.

Comment

The wavey ring goes in the bottom groove first, make sure the ends butt against each other and don't over lap.Put one of the very thin ones at the bottom of the wavey ring, then the other one at the top edge of the wavey ring, spin the ends so they are about a third away arond the piston from each other. They thin ones kind of sit on the top and bottom edge of the wavey one, wavey pushes them out. Check the ends of the wavey (expander) ring haven't overlapped. If you have a black ring and a shiney (chrome) ring, put the black one on next in the middle groove with any little letters or dots on the ring facing the top of the piston, look carefully at the rings as the marks can be hard to see. Then put the black one in the top groove again with any markings on the ring to the top. Spin the rings so that none of the gaps at the ends line up with the other ring end gaps.

Comment

Great glad someone asked this one , as I have one to install soon.

Comment

Thread moved and made sticky
                        its engine oil madge ,,,
                        Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

I've been looking for this one Dex - cheers!

- Adam

Comment

Working...
                          X