J1 kick start issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 kick start issue

Started a quick little build up of a J1 bottom end i have had on the shelf for ages this arvo, got her all cleaned up and spent a bit of time with the points file cleaning up the splines on the kicker shaft and got them looking good then after fitting kickstart realised its not engaging at all sometimes(not like the clutch is slipping but not engaging whatsoever) spring not broken,returns fine. Gotta go buy a new impact driver as mine has gone walkabout, so i will rip off the clutch cover tomorrow and have a look but i'm just curious if anyone has an idea what its going to be when i open it up. I was only planning on doing a quick build of this motor (top end)and cant be arsed splitting the cases, otherwise i would've just grabbed a shaft from another donor motor. Anyone got any ideas?

maybe missing a tooth on the gear?
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

I bought a second hand motor with a kickstart problem. It wasn't engaging and it was only returning sometimes. Took cover off and the outermost circlip was missing which allowed the spring and metal bit to fall off. Pushed it back in with a new circlip and it works fine now.

Comment

Cool thanks guys, hopefully its something simple like that

Comment

Friction Spring slipping?

Part No 13 on the fiche: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-z50j1-mon...0.html#results

Cheers

Jaimie
          Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Jaimie was closest, friction spring jumped the circlip

Didnt find any thing else nasty while i was in there, the shift star screw had backed out but that's it. Happy days

Comment

Quick question on the above photo. does the thrust washer on the kick start shaft definitely sit inside the right crank case??? If so, I may have an engine or two to pull apart!
              74AŚ3. 78J1. 79R. 82R. 83R. 99R. 74MR50. 75XR75. 98XR70 Crf70. Crf230. Crf450. KLX140.

Comment

Yes it does Mick, sit's where you see it in the above picture

Comment

Originally posted by mick View Post
                  Quick question on the above photo. does the thrust washer on the kick start shaft definitely sit inside the right crank case??? If so, I may have an engine or two to pull apart!
                  74AŚ3. 78J1. 79Jz. 82R. 99R. MR. XR. CRF 50, 230, 450. Jr80. Hopefully not all of them!!!!!!
                  Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Surely not Diggs. Possibly 1 or two Zds��
                    74AŚ3. 78J1. 79R. 82R. 83R. 99R. 74MR50. 75XR75. 98XR70 Crf70. Crf230. Crf450. KLX140.

Comment

Working...
                    X