Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Stator?

Hi all,
    Having trouble with my JZ revving out cleanly. I have new OEM carb, i've fiddled with jetting and needle positions, checked timing and valves, as good as I can, and have new OEM points and a new TB condensor.

When I rebuilt the engine, I just picked a decent looking stator out of the shelf of parts, and didn't really pay any attention to it. I thought they are all the same.

I have a raised dome stator flywheel on the bike, but not sure which stator plate I have - will have a look this afternoon hopefully.

Is the stator plate for J1 and JZ the same? or are they different at all? I saw somewhere that one may have the points raised off the plate for some model or other, but don't know which model has which plate - or, more the issue which plate is for which flywheel?

Cheers. - I'm wondering if that is the reason why my bike performs well up to half throttle-ish but not full throttle where it breaks down and stumbles.

UPDATE:
    I've had a look at my stator that is installed. Seems to be of the 'low down points' variety. I'm guessing that's a J1 or so stator plate ?? As I have a few of those that were fitted to J1 engines I have spare.

So, Am I correct in saying that the JZ stator plate is to have the points raised off the plate ? And is that due to the seemingly shorter taper on the crankshaft ? I'm guessing, but would having the points set low, be causing my power / non revving cleanly issue?

See photos below of the current stator plate fitted (presumeably a J1 plate) with the flywheel being used, and, the other stator on the floor is what I now presume to be a JZ stator??

Cheers.

I guess I'll try and switch over the working parts onto the other plate on the weekend, but am I on the right track here?

Comment

Comment

im really not sure mate as i only ever owned A's and j1's but i'd say thats a jz rotor, all my 6 volt engines have a flat face rotor
        You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

there will be info here somewhere or someone who see's this and knows might answer that.
          You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Working...
          X