Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J1 lights not working? - Plug battery in, and nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 lights not working? - Plug battery in, and nothing.

Hi all,
    Wired up my J1 on the weekend, and after getting a battery today, I plugged it in, and nothing. No lights, blinkers, horn, or brake light.
    Fuse didn't pop, so am wondering :
    Note: No engine installed yet - only all lights, horn and LH blinker and horn switch, and, rear brake switch.

1. Does the stator need to be connected to complete the circuit?
    2. Am I dumb, and the engine needs to be running for lights to work?
    3. I earthed the harness to one of the coil bolts - is that ok ?
    3a. - Does powdercoat on the frame usually cause issues with the earth??

I'm hoping something simple - as everything seemed to plug up in their right locations.
    Cheers.
    Marty

PS - I'm used to working on Pommy 6V +Earth systems where everything is backwards, upside down and everything is live... ahahahah. Monkey is my first 'real bike' reno.

Pretty sure only the indicators and may be the brake light will work with battery only. The rest need to have engine running.

Yes, need good earth. Usually need to remove the powercoat a little to get earth.
    still learning.....

Comment

Cheers OldBikes75 - Assuming the indicators etc are earthed to the fork etc, I'm hoping I don't need to remove paint and PC from each connection.... Surely everyone restoring these things aren't doing that?

Comment

Yeah you may have to remove paint from under each blinker. Itíll need to be bare metal. Yes, some of us do have to scrape the paint off a freshly painted frame.

Comment

Dammit!
          Cheers Paulie. I'll try cleaning out the threads first... then go from there. The joys.... ahahaha
          Guess I'm best to start with a bare metal metal earth instead of using the coil bolt too.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchymarty View Post
            Dammit!
            Cheers Paulie. I'll try cleaning out the threads first... then go from there. The joys.... ahahaha
            Guess I'm best to start with a bare metal metal earth instead of using the coil bolt too.
            yes chase the threads with a tap first.
            You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Also make sure the j1 rear tail lamp bracket is earthed to the frame otherwise you will have issues with the rear working.

Comment

Hmmm.. I've now got good strong continuity tests for all my earths and still have no indicators or rear brake light. Perhaps the stator and engine need to be connected? Also, does the headlight bucket need to be earthed?

Comment

I make sure all the mounting points for the electrics are clean and earthing well, front & rear brake, indicator, horn will work with no motor in the bike however headlight and tail will only run if the motor when running

Comment

UPDATE: After a bit of fiddling, and now I've installed the engine and new stator, seems everything is still dead. After talking to Monkey Power, (very helpful) seems my ignition switch is toast (original and a 'little worn') so fingers crossed a new one will get me going. Watch this space.

Comment

Working...
                    X