No announcement yet.

j1 restomod build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The colour looks great is that a custom match or an off the shelf green?
    Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Hey Jamie it is a custom match off an old paw paw green side cover we had, Very happy with how it turned out

Comment

Gotta be happy with the result, great colour match.
        Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

More parts from Classic Honda 50s arrived and I now have the bike sitting on wheels for the first time, have a Kitaco 32 tooth rear sprocket mounted and will have a 17 tooth front sprocket.

I'm reusing a TB V2 race head from a previous project and have stripped the head ready for new valves, guides and seals.

Parts arrived

On wheels

Head stripped and engine assembly will start soon!

Comment

Looking sweet mate, will love to see how it turns out, if it’s like my j1 I started if a stock build then it morphed into something totally different haha

Comment

Do yourself a favour ,,,
              grab a taki decomp cam setup ,,,
              will stop kick start shaft gear failures , and open up the range of power curves .

Loving the sprocket " stand " ,, way cool
              its engine oil madge ,,,
              Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

A friend let me use his vapour blaster and clean up the clutch cover, crank cases and head. I've never vapour blasted parts before and the finish is fantastic.

Big thanks to Ross at Steel River Vapourblasting in Newcastle NSW for letting me use his blast cabinet, great bloke and good prices compared to most other places.

With the crank cases cleaned up the engine build starts now!

Parts before vapour blasting

I tried to get some photos in the cabinet while I was blasting

Finished parts

Comment

Making progress on the engine build, the bottom end is now assembled and next up will be fitting the new guides, valves, seals and springs to the TB V2 head.
                  A friend brought me home an engine stand from Japan, not sure what brand it is. This is the first build I've used it and it works great!

Main shaft, lay shaft and shift drum installed in the left crankcase

TB stroker crank installed

Left and right crankcases bolted together, shift mechanism installed

Piston, cylinder, cam chain and oil pump installed

Comment

With the bottom end somewhat together I started rebuilding the TB V2 Race head I had from another project. First job was to press out the old valve guides and then ream and press fit the new valve guides.
                    I then recut the valve seats which needed quite abit of work. Happy with the end result of the valve seats, although the 60 degree intake throat is lacking as the seat needed to be cut in deeper than expected. I lapped the seats by hand to finish and rebuilt the head with new valves, springs and stem seals.
                    With the head assembled I started assembling a TB stator kit for the motor. The process was pretty straight forward and just required a little soldering of three wires onto the condensor.

Not shown in photos I have a TB heavy duty manual clutch installed aswell

New valve guides pressed into head

Cutting the valve seats

Valve seat not cutting in the centre- had this issue which is to be expected after fitting new guides

TB Stator kit

Comment

Finished the motor today which was a big milestone for the build, feels like I'm getting somewhere now!

Got the head on and the flywheel torqued down. Points gap set and tappets clearance done. Clutch cover and left hand crank cover fitted.

The engine stand I used was a massive help, definitely would recommend one if you havent tried one- see pictures below for upside down sideways positions you can get the motor in haha

Comment

Motor is in the frame!!
                        Next job is building an exhaust- looking to make an upstyle exhaust similar to the takegawa upstyle or clipping point exhuast and use a jz exhaust shield
                        I have the original j1 exhaust shield but it would really need re-chroming to fit the standard of the rest of the bike.

Stay tuned for the exhaust build soon!

Comment

I like how you raised the intake port of the TB V2 head, would love to see it on a flow bench to see how the mod performed.

I cannot wait to see my Paw Paw J1 back together, great work.

Cheers

Jaimie

Comment

What have you got in that intake port ,,
                            a tongue ,,?

like a 4v to 2v ford v8 close chamber tongue
                            its engine oil madge ,,,
                            Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Moved the intake port towards the top of the head for a straighter run onto the valve head and minimise the curving intake port. This was originally done for the previous project the head was used on (speedway bike) but should still work well on the z50.
                              The bottom of the port is just filled with a liquid metal product and shaped

Comment

Working...
                              X