Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j1 restomod build

Currently building a paw paw green j1

Forks and tank are off getting painted and I'm in the progress of assembling the frame and wheels

I will try to add a parts list as the build comes together.

Had some parts delivered last week, here are a few pictures of the build coming along!

Powder coated black frame with nankai shocks

bolt kit and tail light

Brand new OEM fenders

And last but not least, a 117cc TB stroker kit with a host of other goodies!

will be nice to see a paw paw build. the 117 will need the cases ground i think to fit the cylinder in so check to see before you build the bottom end. keep the pix coming.
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Thanks z nut, will make sure to take plenty of pics!
      Yeah I’m boring the cases soon to fit the barrel, can’t wait

Comment

Current parts list:
        (will keep updating as build progresses)

• Engine
        SL70 (4sp manual clutch) engine cases with a TB parts 117cc stroker kit (#TBW0975) and TB v2 race head
        This includes
        -TB 51mm crankshaft 6v 4 speed type (#TBW0713)
        -TB 54mm piston for v2 Head (#TBW0790)
        -TB head gasket & O ring kit v2 Head (#TBW0859)
        - TB carb for SL/XL/XR100 (#TBW0230)
        -TB intake kit for 20/24mm carb (#TBW0273)
        -TB crankcase gasket (#TBW0334)
        - TB Hi volume oil pump (#TBW0225)

•Frame & electrics
        - Powder Coated black J1 frame
        - paw paw green tank and forks
        - OEM J1 front &rear fenders
        -CMS headlight assembly
        - TB parts fuel tap (#TBW0355)
        - CMS blinkers/indicators
        - Pro50Parts tail light assembly 6v (#ZD658-6v)
        -Pro50Parts JZ bolt kit 305pcs (#ZJ181-0101-001-00)
        - TB throttle cable for 20/24mm carb (#TBW0301)

•Suspension
        - OEM JZ Fork dust seal (#51503-165-003) with custom adapter
        - Fast 50s 1” extended fork legs (#FL12000-z50)
        -Fast 50s fork leg bushing (#SFB25000-FF)
        -Fast 50s Heavy duty fork springs (#Springfork50)
        - Nankai shocks std length

•Brakes
        -Stock Honda brake drums
        -Ferodo brake shoes (#FSB704)

•Wheels and tyres
        - Stock Honda hubs
        - aftermarket alloy wheels
        -Heidenau 3.50-8 tyres
        -NSK 6021 wheel bearings
        - OEM rear sprocket studs (#90125-120-020)
        -OEM J1 front & rear wheel seals

Comment

what fork uppers are you using? you wrote JZ fork dust seal. are you not going to use the j1 uppers?. the picture on the bolt box is a JZ. the j1 dust covers are different.

also buy a Takegawa timing chain, don't put the stock honda one in. don't forget to drill the oil way in the case where it flows through from the case to the cylinder
          You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Hey z nut,
            yes the bike is a J1 and have JZ dust seals as I am in the process of machining up a pair of adapters to screw onto the J1 forks and fit the JZ dust seals. Mainly for the reason That I think they look neater than the rubber fork boots.

cheers for the tips on the timing chain and oil gallery

Comment

no worries bud, cheers.

i think the hole should be 2mm but ask jaimie at CH50's or check a build thread on here, it will be here somewhere.

Comment

Been progressing slowly on the build, mainly waiting for the forks and tank to come back from paint to start assembling the frame.

Got some mail from Japan with my j1 tank decals, painted the hubs and brake drums and assembled the wheels. Also cleaned up the original seat and painted the seat pan with a rust proof gloss black.

Have the motor fully pulled down now and getting ready to bore the cases for the TB barrel. Planning on starting the engine build over Christmas & new year.

j1 Decals

wheels assembled

seat pan painted

How the sl70 motor looked when I started has definitely seen better days. Now fully apart

Comment

Yikes, gonna need a bit of work to bring it up to the same standard as the rest of your parts!
                  Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Split the engine cases and bead blasted them up, then bored the cases for the TB barrel. I have since drilled out the oil passage for the high volume fuel pump and striped and cleaned the transmission ready for reassembly once I order some new cir clips.

Got some more parts over Christmas like the Morin oil cooler, cam chain, guide roller set & kickstarter. Had to get a new kick starter shaft as the old kickstarter was welded to the shaft and had to be hacksawed off.

Engine cases split

Bored cases to fit the TB barrel

More parts from christmas

Gearbox assembly very close!

Comment

Forks returned from paint just before Christmas and I think the colour turned out great! Tank and side cover aren't too far off with the base coat and I will put the decals on before they are clear coated.

Did a quick mock setup to see how the bike is starting to look, happy with it so far. Forks build is also in progress and then the bike should be on its wheels!

I threw on some kitaco handlebars and daytona risers but I'm tossing up whether to go with them or get a set of folding style handlebars, what are peoples opinions?

Will keep working on the motor and try to keep posting updates

Comment

that is looking neat, put whatever bars you like, you can change them later on if you want to go for the more std look, it's already got the bling wheels so go for what you think is COOL . probably more leg room with std bars though?. keep the pix coming mate

Comment

Looking good, looking forward to seeing this one back together - everyone loves a Paw Paw!
                          Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

Comment

Been a while but finished off the forks today and mounted up the front fender and headlight bucket.

Re used a takegawa 140km/h speedo off another project and think it suits the build well! It required filing and enlarging the hole slightly to fit it in the headlight bucket

Fork specs are fast 50s bushes, +1” fork legs and heavy fork springs. Everything else is OEM Honda

Will focus on getting the engine done now and I will keep the thread updated

Comment

Good progress, you'd be surprised how quickly they come together once you start throwing money at them!

Comment

Working...
                              X