Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil (SL70)

Guys,

I have recently purchased a 1972 SL70 K1. It's in original condition which is great. It also came with a box of assorted ancient spares.

Until tonight, it had no spark, so earlier I took the flywheel off and cleaned the contacts & points with a scoura. it seemed to work well!

Once done, it still had no spark, so I have tried another ignition coil that came in the box of spares.

To my delight, the bike now has spark.

However, the coil's are different and I am unsure if I should continue using this one.

Here's a photo. Any info would be appreciated.

IMG_2728.jpg

The (what's this ) is a condenser, designed to absorb excess voltage as to prevent the points from
    Burning out.
    Save the monkeys

Comment

this is yours.image.jpg
      image.jpg

http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...to-differencesother more common set ups
      Save the monkeys

Comment

the top coil is prob ok just you have a condenser where the magneto is and i dont think will work with tow on it looks like a atc110 coil

Comment

Originally posted by bongo View Post
          the top coil is prob ok just you have a condenser where the magneto is and i dont think will work with tow on it looks like a atc110 coil
          Thanks for the info...Although I don't fully understand what you have written.

Comment

the z50 st70 sl70 xl70 atc70 c50 c70 engine have a condenser in the magneto so not needed on the coil but old c90 ct90 ct110 atc90 atc110 had the condenser on the coil cut the wire the thing you asked what's this and try it back on the bike

Comment

Bongo the cmsnl picky above is of a sl70k1, its showing no condenser on the backing plate.
              So i,m thinking the coil with the condenser is the correct coil for his bike.
              as for the question can he use the other coil, i,d say yes but he needs to fit the condenser and preferably
              a new one. as for the difference in numbers on the coil? i,m not 100% sure if this is anything to be concerned about.
              Here is the Fische showing the condenser on the coil.
              image.jpg
              Save the monkeys

Comment

Thanks OCDJ50J, you are correct. The correct coil for my bike has a condenser.

I will see if i can swap the condenser from the dead coil, over to the working one. At the moment the bike kicks over but splutters and conks-out in under 10 secs. I suspect this is due to using a coil with no condenser...

In the meantime I will also look for a replacement coil. If anyone has one, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X