X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL70 Ignition Switch Bypass

Hi All,

Just picked up a 71 SL70 the other day.

The bike is 100% original condition & has been in storage for the past decade (& therefore has not been started).

Unfortunately its missing the ignition key. So until I have a new one made up, I want to bypass the ignition switch.

Any ideas?

IMG_2724_Resize.jpg

You can undo the multi pin square plug at the motor and run a single wire from points to coil. I think it's the black and white wire you need from points.

Comment

Neat looking bike.
      Hondakeys.com are good for replacement keys if you didn't already know.

Comment

drop into a locksmiths ,,,
        take the lock with you , they will just use the code stamped on it .

ohh ,,, neat score by the look of it .
        its engine oil madge ,,,
        Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Super helpful info. I will take in the lock as Dex mentioned.

The bike is in quite good condition overall. I am really happy with it. as far as I can tell everything is original....even the battery & spark plug!

I will slowly do a restore over time. But before then, I am going to get it Rego'd and ride it around Melbourne!...maybe even into the city for work. :P

P.S. Thanks retroresto77 for the website. I didn't know about that one. I will hopefully find an OEM key from there too.

Comment

Nice bike. If your in Melbourne we'll have to catch up for a ride once my XL70 is on the road.

Comment

I know Monkey Tom has heaps of original Honda keys from the 70's, give him a try if you have the key number.

Comment

Hi Scoot. Thanks for the offer.

I have a collection of 8 50's and NONE of them are currently running...Anyway I am working on getting one of my JZ's and the SL70 to run. Happy to catch up after that.

Comment

Dex, great info.

Took it in and they read the code and 5 mins later came back with a key.

Comment

It might be the same as a z50 where you can just unplug the ignition switch & it will go. The ignition switch only earths the coil so when it's unplugged, the coil should work.
                    ​Too many bikes, not enough ride days.

Comment

Working...
                    X