Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JZ Engine build for the road?

Hi all,
    I just picked up my second Monkey - a 1980 JZ which will be restored to look stock, but I want a 'nice' engine build to handle some miles and be 'safe' on the road.
    I'm restoring my '77 J1 to be 'out of the factory' so will be stock 50cc, but, my JZ, I want to ride more on the road so will need a bit more power &, I'll be replacing stock suspension with Takegawa shocks and fork inserts.

Basically, after looking through dyno section here, and reading a few things, I'm a bit unsure of which way to go with the JZ engine. Basically I want a bullet proof engine, not 'TOO STRESSED', that I can ride 'safely' at 80kph, for a ride to my local hinterland cafe which is a 70km round trip. It's a 90kph country road, but I ride my old pommy bike on it at 80kph with no issues holding people up. I'd say, if the monkey can do 85-90flat out, it should be ok to cruise at 80ish.

So, would a 88cc with stock 3 speed do that? Or 88 + 4 speed? Or, do I need a 108 and 4 speed? or ??? I'd like to be able to do that 70km ride a couple of times a month, so kms would add up, so I don't really want a full blown race engine that wears out in 5 mins. There is a couple of decent hills on that ride though.

Thoughts?
    Marty

Further thinking - and investigation of the Dyno threads.... It would seem that 90 odd kph is achievable with a Takegawa 88 kit and race head. Am I correct in believing that the 88 kits install without needing to bore the crank cases? Also, I'm thinking that if I can keep the 3 speed, that would save me some money initially to speed up the restoration process.

So, what say you?
    High volume oil pump, Take 88 top end including race head, and Take auto clutch + 20mm carb? or TB equivilent ? Will I be able to run it 80kph flat out?

Comment

Agree that an 88cc engine will do the 90 odd km/h you require, but, when you get to a long hill you need more power and more gears.

save your coin and go for a 124cc with a 5 or 6 speed gearbox and that will do everything you can think of.

Comment

Cheers Monkiesuncle. I guess it'll come down to $. I also like the idea of modding my 50, myself, but totally aknowledge the benefit of dropping in a Daytona engine!

Comment

Working...
        X