Front Forks Questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Forks Questions.

Hi everyone. Got a question for the experts. Iím going to chop my JZ front forks down like the 4mini low style and put on J1 boots. (Like all the bikes on my Instagram feed). Question is: is the thread 33x1? I think Z50Jack identified the thread in one of his posts years ago. I think that was it? Iím going to buy a die.

Peter did that on his 30th clone.
    still learning.....

Comment

The fork housing thread measures 33.773mm with a 1mm thread pitch.
      Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Honda 50's View Post
        The fork housing thread measures 33.773mm with a 1mm thread pitch.
        Thanks Jaimie, I reckon 34x1 should be ok?

Comment

When you say, chop, what kind of length were you looking to cut them back too?

I suspect our instagram feeds may have a lot in common......

Comment

I have fork boots here that suit jz fork legs without tapping a thread. I'll sell them if you're interested
            Life is too short for cheap carbs...

Comment

Thanks for the offer Matty, but if Iím not going to cut them, Iíll stick to the JZ boots. Much cooler! Haha

Comment

To answer Magilla, I reckon Iíll chop off around 40-50mm. Iíll be sure to measure twice and cut once. The inserts I got are -5cm cheapies.
                Attached Files

Comment

40 or 50 will be a fair chop on a JZ. I'm looking to do something similar, but with a Chaly. I thought I'd try using a set of shorter front forks and then combine them with shorter inserts.

I really may have overdone it though.....I've ordered 30mm short front forks and 55mm short front legs.

I can see me ending up with a motor sitting on the ground.

Comment

8492275D-F2B7-4738-A160-EF293CE694C1.jpeg I donít think Iíve ever seen a completed picture of this bike (see attached) and I reckon itís for the same reason, too much cut out of front forks. The exhaust is touching the ground -as you can see. I tried a few years ago with short forks and failed. So I reckon my way to go this time is scale up a picture off the net of one that has worked and take measurents off the picture.

Comment

lol, not every experiment works, does it?

Comment

Have you chopped any off? I canít work out any other solution other than cutting off the 5cm to fit those tanaka forks.

Comment

you can always put shorter springs in instead of cutting the uppers, i put 30mm shorter and stiffer springs in mine until it gets the daytona's. i wouldn't put anymore than 30mm lower springs as the bump stops are about 15mm from hitting each other, dont know how it will go on a ride yet but i sat on it and bounced it and it didn't hit the rubber stoppers and is quite firm. also you can buy the ji boots and cups to suit jz.

i think this is them. https://japan.webike.net/products/20022219.html

https://japan.webike.net/products/21920438.html

https://japan.webike.net/products/2172097.html
                          You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Ok, Iíve done it! I chopped off 55mm from the forks and cut new threads. Could have been a lot easier if I had a die handle..... just finished this arvo, so will have to try and dry fit the wheels etc and hopefully it all fits together. For the record I used a 34x1 die and it is perfect for the tanaka trading -5cm inserts. Hereís pictures.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X