First time Z50M build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Z50M build

Here are some pics of the M my girlfriend won at auction last weekend.

It has frame & engine numbers and a working original key.
    The rear fender, gear shift lever, exhaust pipe, and (I believe) the handlebars are not correct.
    The rear license plate bracket is broken off.

These are missing :
    Headlight bucket assembly & speedo & cable.
    Horn assembly and button.
    Taillight/license plate assembly.
    Chainguard.

Haven't tried to start it yet but it turns over and has clean oil in it.
    The front brake mount is part of the right handlebar, and from pictures it looks like there is a housing that serves as a front brake lever mount and horn button housing?

How did we do?

You did well.......depending on $$. The bike looks a lot beter than most, the bits that are missing are all available albiet expensive. Although, going by the pctures, you have at least 2 Harleys so spending fists full of money on a motorcycle obviously doesn't worry you.

Welcome to the troop.

BTW, the exhaust is wrong too
    Once I thought I was wrong, I was mistaken

Comment

Nice bike. That was a really low price for an M at the Mecum auction. Well done
      Life is too short for cheap carbs...

Comment

score ..
        its engine oil madge ,,,
        Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

MattyP - Sounds like you were at the auction. I suggested buying a new one at the Honda dealer after she was outbid on the museum resto blue '71, the red one, and the other blue one Sat. My gf bought this M because it was the only minibike left at Mecum! We had no knowledge of the collectability or value of this bike, she just wanted to buy it to have something to ride around on.

Peter - Yes the exhaust is held on by bailing wire.. One question I have is can I tell by the frame or engine number whether it had a high or low lunchbox? <-- NOTE I am using the correct word to describe the muffler! hahaha!

Comment

Nice score fuzzy.

Just a thought, you should marry that girl
            On the roller coaster of life, throw your arms in the air.

Comment

She's one of a kind alright Ztrail!

Comment

Can I confirm I've got non-M bars ?
                And one part I'm not finding is the housing for the front brake and horn button?;,

Comment

Good luck on that bit, I made one out of a Honda scooter one that was very similar. The different mufflers were to do with what market they were sold in, someone here might be able to elaborate on that.

http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...ighlight=z50ma

Comment

yes there NON z50M bars

jerrys rear guards are good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Z50...item2348c74eff

a complete tail light/bracket tool box sold few days ago on ebay 500 us

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111565295...84.m1423.l2649
                    64 CZ100, 64 CZ100, 67 Z50m. 67 Z50m. 67 Z50m. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 74 XR75. 75 XR75. 76 Z50J1.
                    77 Z50J1. 78 Z50J1. 80 Z50JZ. 82 Z50r. 82 Z50R. 82 Z50R. 83 Z50R. 84 Z50R. 86 Z50R. 97 Z50R.
                    Z50 BAJA. Z50 BAJA. 04 CRF50

Comment

Thanks bullarabs - those fenders look perfect! My front looks well used but OK.
                      How is the quality of the repro tail light bracket/toolboxes?

I saw these exhausts on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301286908147...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Are these decent quality and is the seller reputable for M parts?
                      He offers the high lunchbox as well.
                      Would the frame number indicate where this bike was sold and which exhaust it would have been equipped with, high or low?

Comment

I've never dealt with them but it looks OK in pictures. Just try to avoid the cheap Asian copy parts, the bit you get probably won't look as good as the one in the add picture, although you night be OK with their seat covers, there's not a lot of choice with them.
                        In the 4th picture There appear to be marks around the bolt holes where the high type exhaust would have gone, maybe thats a good indication.
                        Shire bikes (used to be monkeybikes uk?) has or atleast had reasonable number plate brackets. I scratch built mine, not too hard to do, its basicly flat and square angles.

Comment

going by the decal on frame at rear of engine. ur bike needs low type exhaust. JDM bikes don't have this decal as they have the high exhaust that would cover it.
                          64 CZ100, 64 CZ100, 67 Z50m. 67 Z50m. 67 Z50m. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 72 Z50K2. 74 XR75. 75 XR75. 76 Z50J1.
                          77 Z50J1. 78 Z50J1. 80 Z50JZ. 82 Z50r. 82 Z50R. 82 Z50R. 83 Z50R. 84 Z50R. 86 Z50R. 97 Z50R.
                          Z50 BAJA. Z50 BAJA. 04 CRF50

Comment

I finally got back on this project! Found the plug wire separating from the coil and no spark. Found this on eBay and it looks right, but not sure. It's local to me but Does this one look like what I need?
                            http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181718809180

Thanks!

Comment

Not 100% sure as the original ones are grey. If the mounting screws are the right distances, it should fit OK and work. I bought a similar one for the ma project and after a light bead blast, painted it grey.

Comment

Working...
                              X