Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JZ Shock mount strenghtening?

HI all,
    Just bought my Second Monkey , a 1980 JZ. Started pulling it apart, and noted that the rear shock top mount 'spigots' that extend out from the frame are quite thin, bent, and certainly much weaker looking than my '77 J1 frame.
    What is the concensous? Are they indeed weaker? Has anyone welded some gussets on to the frame to reinforce them?

I'm hoping to build this JZ bike as a 'performance' Z50, ie, will have upgraded suspension, and a 108 stroker. Just wondering if the stiffer Takegawa shocks will just bend the stock top mounting points ? (obviously will straighten them before painting the frame etc.... But will I be best to reinforce them?

Cheers.
    Marty

Should be fine if you don't jump it.
    still learning.....

Comment

They are the same set-up as the Z50R's from the 80's, have not done anything to a JZ frame but have used my press to straighten quite a few Z50R's that have not rebent after getting abused and jumped by adults for a few years.

Not much room for gussets so on one Z50R I had some thick walled steam pipe that fit perfect just cut to length to fit over the rear shock mount each side and welded it on, I only had a stick welder stuck on low and 4mm rods at the time and was more worried about it snapping off the frame at the base after I welded it, 30 years ago I was a better grinder than a welder

On another Z50R that did keep rebending I ground a bit of the frame away and welded some 1" flatbar across the top of the rear shock mount from end to end, it was not really too noticeable under the seat painted to match the frame colour which was easy back in the early 90's as I had a can of Red touch up paint from Honda.

Cheers

Jaimie
      Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Thanks Jaimie. I might try and find some pipe that will fit - or maybe a triangle of flat plate welded under the mount outrigger. Seems odd Honda chose to make the outriggers smaller after the J1 frame which looked fine. Is what it is. Evidently I have to re-weld the RH side foot brake lever shaft @ the frame also, and, fix ovalised bottom engine mount holes too. Rear side cover mount is busted too! This poor frame has had a battering.
        I'd better learn to weld!

Comment

As my wife always reminds me that we are actually riding kids bikes designed for riders under 50kg
          Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

probably made thinner as the seat mounts there with the shocks so not as muck leverage as the j1 has
            You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Working...
            X