Converting a Z50A to a Z50J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Z50A to a Z50J

Hi all, new owner of a monkey bike here.

I'm located in California and recently bought a 1975 Z50 in decent shape. It has however a bend on the frame, and I would also like to add winkers, horn, etc to possibly make it street legal in the future. Reading and googling about these I'm realizing that the US versions never had any of it (at least none of the softtails), whereas most other countries did. I think I've figured out that the 1974 was called K5 here in US but Z50J elsewhere, and the 1975 was called K6 and then only Z50A until 1978 after which it changed tank and saddle, etc. I guess the tank change is what they in Japan refer to as the 4L and 5L models. Everywhere else the years 1975 to 1978 was called J1. From what I can tell all were 6V everywhere during these years.

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable could help me clear up some things. Did all Australia sold Z50s come with winkers and battery? I would kind of like to restore it close to original, but since my frame is bent and I want to add a battery it sounds as if I would be better off getting a J or J1 frame from either Australia or Japan.

I've seen a few threads by people having converted Z50A to Z50J, not enough details to understand what is going on and no response on my pm's so hoping someone here can shed some light. I would also be very interested to know if anyone knows what the difference is between a J and a J1?

Hi Nicoman, have a look around on here and you will find what your looking for, so much information to be read, and way too much for my unco fingers.
    i'd say just buy an Australian harness and ignition switch and whatever else your going to need, i think a member on here Monkeypower should have the harness. you most likely didn't get a reply to any emails because i think you need 10 posts to be able to send them. im sure someone will answer questions if you keep asking so fire away.
    You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Thanks! So you're saying that all Z50s in Australia had batteries (horn, winkers, speedo, etc) and were road legal?

Comment

not all, some hardtails don't have blinkers they are a GE general export, some hardtails you can rego some you can't, some had batteries some didn't so just follow the j1 info they are road reg bikes. i think the Aussie j1 went from 1975-1978 and had battery and blinkers and can be rego'ed.
        You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Interesting, and I guess that also means that all these years 75-78 were 6V. Do you know the difference between a J and a J1?

Comment

our hardtails are 'A' models up to about 1974 i think, then j1 to about 78-79 all 6 volt then came the jz, im sure some were 6 volt and then turned into 12 volt around 1979. i don't play with the 12 volt bikes much so im only guessing. we also had the R model that is off road only. if you change all the electrics your probably best to go a 12 volt system . a lot of blokes here get a harness for a 40th anniversary model and go from there. wait a few days or so and someone who knows a lot more than me can answer your questions more clearly for you.

Comment

What would be the advantage of going to 12V, stronger lights?

Comment

yes lights are brighter and ignition is more reliable and stronger spark than 6 volt

Comment

Working...
                X