Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing back a rough J1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Could try this stuff: http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...ghlight=plasti
    Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

    PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

    Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

    Comment


    • #17
      Engine

      Thought I would take a look at the engine, I was expecting it to be pretty rough from what I could see on the outside:

      DSC_4236.jpg
      DSC_4237.jpg

      Everything seems to be corroded and stuck good, dirt in lots of places, hardly any oil..shes had a hard life.

      DSC_4241.jpg

      In the end I found some pretty bad news, shift drum stopper separated and mangled up a few things, looks like it may have been over tightened and the spigot on the case itself has failed:

      DSC_4261.jpg
      DSC_4264.jpg

      I've got some spare J1 cases, this one will be stripped for parts, maybe I'll find a good RH case some day...

      I doubt I will get a full set of internals, I can already tell there's some bad signs in the crank and trans too...

      Jake

      Comment


      • #18
        Back to the frame:

        The frames pretty much done, although the races looked trashed, so I punched out the old ones to replace with new:

        DSC_4293.jpg

        I made up a headset bearing press out of 50mm aluminium bar and a 220mm M12 axle:

        DSC_4305.jpg
        DSC_4306.jpg
        DSC_4303.jpg

        Greased up the frame, and froze the bearings:

        DSC_4348.jpg

        New bearing seated:

        DSC_4350.jpg

        Cheers
        Jake

        Comment


        • #19
          Back to the forks

          Back to the forks, got my hands on a thread file and used the 1.0 mm pitch thread. The filing was pretty easy, the 34mm fork diameter is large compared to an M6x1.0 for example, and the file is guided pretty easy on the thread.
          DSC_4494.jpg

          Here you can see the stuffed thread, most of it looks like a combination of grease/dirt/corrosion, but some of the thread body has been worn away.
          DSC_4483.jpg

          It only took about 15 min for each leg, threads look pretty sweet.
          DSC_4497.jpg

          Most importantly the fork caps go on nice and easy:
          DSC_4495.jpg

          Cheers
          Jake

          Comment


          • #20
            This is really great. Well done. I could do with a set of those bearing presses.

            Keep up the great work
            Life is too short for cheap carbs...

            Comment


            • #21
              Making up the wire holders for the indicators...trying to anyways:

              DSC_4502.jpg

              Comment


              • #22
                Geez, attention to detail much??? Good effort!
                Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

                ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Mech_Z50J1 View Post
                  Making up the wire holders for the indicators...trying to anyways:

                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]23549[/ATTACH]
                  Great work so far. Need to flatten the end that is welded to the tab otherwise it won't look original...

                  I've spent $100 to make a $10 part so makes perfect sense to me .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    More fork work

                    flattened the indicator wire holders and cut it to size, doesn't look too bad:

                    DSC_4504.jpg

                    DSC_4510.jpg

                    DSC_4506.jpg

                    Should pass once painted up.

                    Jake

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I didnt even know these were missing on my J1 till I saw this thread! Now I am not sure what to do with the wires!!!!
                      Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

                      ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mech_Z50J1 View Post
                        flattened the indicator wire holders and cut it to size, doesn't look too bad:

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23562[/ATTACH]

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23564[/ATTACH]

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23563[/ATTACH]

                        Should pass once painted up.

                        Jake
                        I was only stuffing around but great work!!!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Finished off forks ready for painting.

                          DSC_0006.jpg

                          DSC_0005.jpg

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X