SOS please help - 4 wire stator Z50a GE, lighting coil output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS please help - 4 wire stator Z50a GE, lighting coil output

Hi all, thanks for all the guidance so far been reading for weeks. 1969 Z50a K1 GE

My 6v GE ( no battery), i have rewired the bike and followed the wiring diagram as required.
    I fired up the bike and the lighting coil RED- out put was >20vAC and blew my globes as expected. Brake light was very dull on key 1 and 2 (blue and grey stator output to white ) horn was very very quiet off the yellow.
    checked all my continuity and also checked the ignition switching which continuity all tested ok(as per diagram 1). So i purchased a new lighting 4 wire coil 'TB ' and soldered it in.
    i understand Blue and grey are coils for brake and horn on select 1 and 2 on ignition.

New lighting coil all in and i fired up the bike, Switch 2 position and tested the lighting coil - RED 6v+ as per revs up all OK, tail light and headlight work no problem.
    switch 1 position i have 6V DC on The white wire and brake light works, horn doesn't work off the tellow.

switch 2 position - i tried the horn and it worked but quiet, brake light fed from white is very bright.
    White (SL) output wire from grey lighting coil is now at 14v+ AC. And yellow(HO) at 14v+ AC alt, is this a fault? This is off the Grey coil wire

what are the resistances for the new lighting coil, TB Aftermarket Stator Assembly - K2-78 Models [TBW0039] - this is the 4 wire, no battery version.
    earth to blue i have .6ohm,
    earth to red i have .7ohm,
    earth to Grey i have 1.7ohm.

Can this TB stator coil run a horn?

if any one can help me out that would be very appreciated.

z50 gen export wiring.PNGz50 general export wiring.PNG
    Attached Files

The first photo is for US k2 which didn't has a horn.
    still learning.....

Comment

Here is the wiring diagram to suit the USA Z50AK2 that the TBW0039 stator kit is designed for, I will get some resistance measurements for you:

Honda Z50A K2.jpg

Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Thanks mate, I had printed out that wiring diagram as that ignition switch matches what continuity I get for pos one and pos 2 on the ignition

red - head light and tail light
        blue- brake light on key position 1 (yellow for horn?)
        grey - brake light on key position 2 (yellow for horn?)

SL - Stop light
        HO- horn
        HL- Head Light

only concern now i guess is that the TB coil cant take the horn current, i dont know if the K2 without battery had a horn. ? i know the GE does,

Comment

Sorry for the delay, will have more TBW0039 in stock by mid next week to get you some resistance readings.

From the diagram that US particular model did not have a horn included.
          Classic Honda 50's Australia - Visit our online store at - www.classichonda50saustralia.com.au

PERFORMANCE, REPRODUCTION AND OEM PARTS TO SUIT OLD AND NEW HONDA AND OTHER 4 STROKE MINIBIKES AND MOTORBIKES INCLUDING KAWASAKI, YAMAHA AND SUZUKI.

Parts to Suit: Honda Z50A, Z50J1, Z50JZ, Z50R, Z50JDM, Z50M, QA50, QR50, MR50, XR50, CRF50, ATC70, CT70, CZ100, MSX125 (Grom), ST70, SL70, XL70, TRX70, XR75, XR80, TRX90, Kawasaki KLX110 and Z125 models to name a few.

Comment

Hi Ryno

Have just got to check the resistance readings:

Earth - Blue: 0.6 ohm.

Earth - Red: 0.7 ohm.

Earth - Grey: 1.7 ohm.

Primary Coil: 1.8 ohm.

Cheers.

Jaimie

Comment

Cheers Jamie, so turns out that the TB stator puts out a higher voltage From lighting coil Grey such as 11v -14v AC . I ran a diode bridge and capacitor and a 12v DC horn. Hooked it all up and now works all ok.

thanks for your help, got the z50a GE registered this week. Stoked

Comment

Working...
              X