Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babu first build z50a

Looking to try a z50 build!

First build so go easy on me, gonna need plenty of help and ideas cos starting out with not much.

Hope it won't be a disaster haha...

A bit burnt but theres life there somewhere...

IMAG0306.JPG

IMAG0307.JPG

IMAG0308.JPG

IMAG0309.JPG

IMAG0310.JPG

started stripping her down

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0313.JPG

IMAG0319.JPG

IMAG0321.JPG

Comment

No cracks on the hoop supports?
      the rear axle/hub mount on the frame not ground down due to chain derailment? .
      If no to both. ... Go for it
      if yes. .... Somewhere to start
      its engine oil madge ,,,
      Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

couln't get the fork collar to unscrew cos it's stuck from being burnt and it broke. guides and seals inside fork melted from the heat.

IMAG0350.JPG

IMAG0352.jpg

Comment

thats all you need, frame and forks, because most of the stuff needs replacing anyhow, just got to work out custom or stock

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
            No cracks on the hoop supports?
            the rear axle/hub mount on the frame not ground down due to chain derailment? .
            If no to both. ... Go for it
            if yes. .... Somewhere to start
            which is the hoop support? I don't think there are cracks any where, just abit of rust. rear hub mount is ground about 1/3 to 2/5, still feels strong.

Comment

Originally posted by yonda View Post
              thats all you need, frame and forks, because most of the stuff needs replacing anyhow, just got to work out custom or stock
              stock, except for seat, wheels, tires, tank, fenders, bars, exhaust, speedo and engine, otherwise stock.

Comment

i tried to undo the steering nut? today but couldn't.

IMAG0323.jpg

Comment

wow, stock frame and forks, custom everything else, you can weld and grind back rear wheel mount tabs, problem is it will cover the build date stamp, unless you record it and restamp

Comment

Originally posted by yonda View Post
                    wow, stock frame and forks, custom everything else, you can weld and grind back rear wheel mount tabs, problem is it will cover the build date stamp, unless you record it and restamp
                    Looking to build something to ride so thinking custom. parts of the build date has been grounded off, what's visible is 7310 so assume it's oct 73. Is the build date required for rego? frame number still clearly visible.

Comment

it might pay to take a clear photo of the stamped date before you do anything to the frame, it might assist you latter when it comes time to rego the bike, i'm pretty sure rego department are only keen on the other side with the frame identification numbers, better to be safe than sorry, when in doubt give rego dept a call

Comment

Hoop suports are just what i call the two small " bout an inch each " posts that go from the boxed engine mount on the frame that join to the rear hoop sections that form the rear of the frame.
                        They are a common place to find cracks or snaps on a hardtail.
                        its engine oil madge ,,,
                        Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

no cracks on hoop supports.

Interested in how much (ball park) people have paid for hardtail frame, tank, tail light, headlight bucket to be:

1. blasted and powder coated
                          2. blasted and 2 pack paint

is $350 for sand blasting and powder coat reasonable?

Comment

I get my frame and parts blasted and etch primed for around $100. I have had frames powder coated for under $100 after i had them blasted.
                            $350 sounds a tad rich, But well cheaper than getting someone to paint the parts in 2K. I guess for $350 you'll have the jod done. I wouldn't powder coat the tank but thats just me, People do though. Are you going for stock or custom colour??

Comment

For the stem nut, Try giving the thread a tune with a wire brush, Heaps of WD and a big pair of vise grips.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the date number for rego, for my blue slip i just told them the year, Theyré never going to pop your wheel off for a look. My axle support was chewed out also, I just welded it up and smoothed it over and now the date has gone but not an issue for rego i don't think.

Comment

Working...
                              X