Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babu’s z100a

Hi all,

I am thinking of doing a last build to end my zed builds . Something to just look at as I don’t have time to ride much. I’d be happy if it looks 80-90% from a distance? I expect this build to take years if it ever gets finished. As it’s something you don’t see everyday it’s going to be challenging. I will need a lot of help with info and ideas. The purist die hard might want to look away because there will be no original z100 parts just made up ones with my limited skills and time... lol.

Anyone want to see and help me with the last build? If so any info on z100 would be great, pics so I can copy.

Where do I start as I know nothing about z100 apart from a couple of google pics. Any suggestions on a frame to start off with? I’m thinking a hardtail frame.

This is probably wishful thinking but I want to give it a shot for a bit of fun...

Can't wait to see this build.
    Old hondas don't die......they wait.

Comment

if Ray is interested then it's going ahead... :-)

Getting measurements on something that really doesn't exist is not going to happen so I'm going to have to make do with what I can and improvise.

I traced and outline the bike from one of the pics in Jamie's sticky... http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/forum...icture-gallery. It's as close to side on as I can find. I hope it is a photo of a real bike and not a drawing

z100 outline.JPG

z100a outline .JPG
      This is what I'm going to be working off for measurements and proportions together with whatever photos I can find. Not 100% but will have to do.

Scaled the drawing and printed 1:1 to make measurements easy.

IMG-1316.JPG

Comment

went to look for a donor frame today

IMG-1319.JPG
        tried an R/J frame, and a hardtail frame

IMG-1320.JPG
        IMG-1322.JPG

but head stem angles both no go...

IMG-1323.JPG

and the backbone of the R/J frames curves where as I need it straight..

IMG-1324.JPG

Nothing is going to be straight forward with this build... sounds like lots of work.

Maybe I need a CZ frame?

Comment

don't chop the QA, you'll be able to build that, easy for a clever person like you so BUILD A FRAME Thuc. i couldn't even make the paper plans
          You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

Originally posted by z nut View Post
            don't chop the QA, you'll be able to build that, easy for a clever person like you so BUILD A FRAME Thuc. i couldn't even make the paper plans
            the QA frame engine mount has been chopped anyway so it can be a donor... still thinking, i will need head tube from something at least...

been looking at parts that can be bought.

i think this is the tail light lens but it's one expensive lens! https://www.cmsnl.com/products/lenst.../#.XjJc92gzaUk

I have a super cub 50 push rod engine I will use.

Horn I have a spare M/Cz type, horn button and grips I think are c110 super cub sports. The closest carb match I can find is also a c110 carb, if anyone knows what carb I'd be interested

Comment

i'd use the c110 carby they look cool. i would also be looking for non original parts to keep the cost down, just use anything you already have and make as much as possible. keep putting up ideas and your plans and i'll let you know if i have anything you could use or i could possibly make myself and send it over to you.
              You have two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'. In the left side, there's nothing right. In the right side, there's nothing left.

Comment

i'd use the c110 carby they look cool. i would also be looking for non original parts to keep the cost down, just use anything you already have and make as much as possible. keep putting up ideas and your plans and i'll let you know if i have anything you could use or i could possibly make myself and send it over to you.
                thanks z nut! can you make and send me the frame please :-), not sure what to do with that at the moment. will use a c110 carb. I'd like to use what ever original bits I can find, looks better.

frame in to too hard basket so i thought I'd start with the easy bit first, the fork. I guess you like pics!

used the jig i made for the NOT M build, lucky haven't chucked them, very raw, lined up everything manually with a square rule and by eye lol.. not 100% accurate but doesn't have to be

IMG_1334.JPG
                IMG_1335.JPG
                IMG_1336.JPG
                IMG_1337.JPG
                IMG_1332.JPG
                IMG_1333.JPG
                IMG_1339.JPG
                IMG_1345.JPG

Comment

thought hard about how to make the top section the bars screw into...
                  z100-33.jpg
                  i don't really know how the bars screw in so took a stab.. decide to make an insert

spare aluminium round bar
                  IMG_1368.JPG
                  turn
                  IMG_1369.JPG
                  tap
                  IMG_1370.JPG
                  IMG_1371.JPG
                  IMG_1378.JPG
                  i rounded edges more to look like the ones in the photo and hammered it in tight
                  IMG-1380.JPG
                  IMG-1381.JPG
                  next will be how to weld the inserts into the fork!
                  Attached Files

Comment

forks are coming along nicely, got me buggered how ya gunna weld the inserts in too hahaha............ i still think ya should have a go at making the frame, you have the skills, be a little easier if someone could give ya some measurements though.

Comment

forks are coming along nicely, got me buggered how ya gunna weld the inserts in too hahaha............ i still think ya should have a go at making the frame, you have the skills, be a little easier if someone could give ya some measurements though.
                      i've gone abit ahead of myself hammering them inserts in! i haven't even done the fork sleeves and tree and they won't clear with the inserts in... haha... i'm going to have fun taking them off cos it took a bit of hammering to get them in. The inserts only needs to be secured for upward pull out force so, welding will just involve drilling a hole across the lower section of the inserts, thread a steel rod through and welded to the forks. Well at least that's what i'm thinking of doing...

Comment

as suspected, i had trouble removing the insert so drilled it out and had to make another one!

IMG_1412.JPG

Comment

got a bit further with the forks but then hit a brick wall... and i thought I'd started with the easy part lol...

Original J1 forks, missing ears

IMG_1385.JPG

look away :-)

IMG_1387.JPG
                          IMG_1388.JPG

looking at the z100 photos it looks like there's a bolt going from the top plate to the bottom so made an insert with m12 thread

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

making the top plate.... starting with bottom race washer...... think that's what it's called?

IMG_1392.JPG

i'll take too long to explain so will show photos instead, i know you guys like photos

IMG_1393.JPG
                          trace

IMG_1394.JPG
                          a few working outs

IMG_1396.JPG

came up with final version of what i think looks like a z100 one from online bike photos

IMG_1397.JPG

Comment

my metal supply lol... scrap drum from brother's work bin

IMG_1425.JPG
                            IMG_1430.JPG
                            lucky still kept the NOT M for measurements for front fender

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

drew fork sleeves, no cad, just freehand

IMG_1419.JPG

trace and cut (grinder)

IMG_1420.JPG

pretty tight, had to use the press

IMG_1421.JPG

Comment

now with all those bits i did a quick assembly of the forks like so

IMG_1427.JPG

looks great, everything seems to fit nicely and accurate, ready for welding

IMG_1428.JPG

then i looked closer

IMG_1429.JPG

and it hit me that if i weld the top and bottom plates into the forks like how they are supposed to be in the photos, how the hec am I going to fit this to the frame or take out???

looks like back to the drawing board... going to have to think about this, i don't like thinking... lol... if you guys have any ideas on how to make this fork removable with both top and bottom plates welded in let me know, I'm going to bed!

Comment

Working...
                              X