Scoot's XL 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot's XL 70

Well it's time to introduce the latest addition to the family.
    This is the bike I've been sweating on since the Friday before Fathers Day last year.
    The pics do make her look better than she really is, but she's soo little and cute, how could I say no??

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Ive owned one of these a few years back, they're awesome as! Nice looking bike. Mine was similar condition but all lights were taken off
    MONKEY ON BROTHERS! 
    sigpic

Custom z50jz Custom Chaly project Original z50j1 Kayla's Custom z50j1 project Crf50 z50r Resto project white gorilla Skyteam Munster

Comment

I think this one will be a keeper.
      The chain was totally seized, so once removed it was a lot easier to wheel around.
      I was told it was seized, but this is not the case.
      When I pull the clutch in, I can easily kick it over. There is no compression. I can hear the internal bits moveing though.
      When I let the couch out, it is almost impossible to kick it over. I have to give it a mighty stomp to get it to turn over. Only did this twice I case of breaking something.
      Any idea what the issue could be??
      It will be getting a strip down anyway, but would like to know what's going on.
      Oh, and are these engines basically a Z50 with a 70 cc top end and 4 speed.
      I'd like to put in a 108 kit if it's a bolt up kit.
      I can put up some engine close ups if that would help identify the donk.
      The numbers stamper into the head stem are: XL 70 - 10309##
      Can a year be narrowed down with there numbers?
      Engine is stamped. XL 70E-10224##
      Cheers everyone.

Comment

It still could be seized in the bore - when you pull in the clutch, it will disconnect the crankshaft from the gearbox . The kick starter would just be turning the gearbox gears. The top end is the same as any other z50/dax so an 88 kit will bolt straight on.
        ​Too many bikes, not enough ride days.

Comment

Or a 108 kit but I'm not sure if they have an early type or late type 6v crank.
          ​Too many bikes, not enough ride days.

Comment

Only one way to find out.
            Pull apart, post pic ��
            Your verdict of what is up with the motor was well worded and makes total sence.
            Thankyou for the reply.
            Cheers,
            Scoot.

Comment

The little things make me happy.
              Today a package arrived from Fjute1955 containing the SL/XL70 headlight bucket and brackets.
              I'll still use my brackets as they have holes for the indicators.
              Although I don't have a headlight yet, the bucket fitted really balances out the front end.
              Another step closer.

image.jpg

Comment

looks good mate glad I could help u out
                Restorate not Separate

Comment

As I am looking at getting a 40th 12v harness, just wondering would the 40th key ignition fit in this bracket, or is there another I should look at.
                  I'll measure it if that helps.

image.jpg

Comment

nah 40th ign has a different clip..

I think you should just clean this one up and ride it around as a 70
                    Life is too short for cheap carbs...

Comment

I will. Well, it will be a little bit faster though. I'd like a keyed ignition for piece of mind at least for when I leave it at the shops knowing someone can't just jump on and go.
                      So ideally I'd like a 12v ignition to fit the ring, or maybe I could source an original 6v and still use it with the 12v harness.(?)
                      Scoot.

Comment

So I had a little free time so thought I'd give the engine swap a crack.
                        Out with the deceased 70cc and in with the new 150cc Lifan.
                        Removing the timing side cover and sprocket was all that was needed to awkwardly shoehorn in the new engine.
                        It took a bit of swearing and shaking, but we eventually got there.
                        After reading the stories about having to pull the head, I found one bloke who said it was possible to do it without going that far.
                        Next is to sort out the wiring and set up the carb.
                        So now I need a new exhaust to suit.
                        Here are a couple of pics of the exhaust I need to replace.

I'm getting there..........

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

Wow, tight fit, can you unscrew the spark plug? ! Atleast fitting the carb under the tank should be easier than a zed

Comment

I didn't think it was going to fit to be honest. With the engines side by side, it wasn't looking good.
                            You can see where the head has scratched the paint from the front guard. A quick trim should sort it out.
                            Having never done this before, I am quite chuffed!
                            These couple of pics show a couple of things.
                            One is showing the 'head space' between the left and right side of the cradle frame. More than enough....
                            The other is the bloody bolt above the lower engine mount. It does sit flush with the mount, BUT, they decided to add a breather hose bracket to it, so it now sits proud, and the engine won't fit with it there. It may seem weird posting it, but when your having to fit the engine from the other side, this little issue can be quite frustrating. Remove bracket, all's good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

Had a bit of free time so I thought I'd pull the top end off the XL to see how bad things are.
                              There is something nice about opening a complete engine that appears to have not been touched before.
                              It's now sitting vertically and getting a good soaking to try and free the barrel.
                              Anyone know if a standard 70 can handle an 88 kit?
                              I have the 150 in the bike now, but wondering if there will be major rego issues.
                              This 70 could go in my z50a, with a rear brake added, but I want to put it on club reg, so more investigation needed.
                              Man, the plan for all these Hondas and power plants have flipped flopped so much this week, I think I'll call them Havaianas.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X