Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my ST70?

Hi Guys,

I picked up a Dax a couple of weeks ago and am chasing a bit of information about it.

There is no compliance plate anywhere on the bike...and i cant even find holes for where there may have been one.

Frame number is ST70-136***

Upload_IMG_1944.jpg
    Upload_IMG_1952.jpg
    Upload_IMG_1955.jpg

So some questions:

1. Can it be rego'd / is it an Aussie bike?

2. What year this one would be?

I have a box of random bits that came with the bike (not sure if they are from this bike or another) Round speedo, plastic tank (not metal), Rear shocks without springs (see pic).

I will be restoring this bike (possibly to original so i'd like to get it right)...although I have a White/Lady Dax emblem kit and genuine Lady dax seat cover..

and, what is the difference between a CT70 and ST70?

Thanks

no comp plate means it is pre 74 ,,, " they didnt have them " ..
    differences are few ,, different front forks ,shocks, exhausts etc in the dax range ... im no dax guy tho .
    its engine oil madge ,,,
    Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

sanrinmonkey-img600x450-13857953191ivrsu17833.jpg

may be import i know that thay are st70 in japan
      japan keep make them up to year 2000 and the late ones had a Round speedos
      sorry not the right pick
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bongo View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]7460[/ATTACH]may be import i know that thay are st70 in japan
        japan keep make them up to year 2000 and the late ones had a Round speedos
        sorry not the right pick
        Thanks for the info Bongo. I have been searching for some more info and came across the CMSNL webpage for the Australia ST70.

They state that AUD models have frame numbers between 124787 ~ 144323. As mine is 136*** I am confident that it's an Australian model.

The photo / illustration they show depict an integrated speedo, though.

I now need to determine what this model was supposed to look like regarding speedo, shocks etc...

Comment

shock is correct, speedo i think shouldn't be round. I could be wrong.

Les might see this post and reply. he the dax man.
          still learning.....

Comment

http://www.monkeybikeoz.com.au/showt...Daxes-for-Sale
            still learning.....

Comment

does this use low slung exhaust? mine has this part.
              still learning.....

Comment

Originally posted by OldBikes75 View Post
                does this use low slung exhaust? mine has this part.
                Thanks for the tip! i didn't know how to differentiate the low slung from normal.

Looking at my frame, I don't think so. i like the low slung exhaust look.

Upload_IMG_1952.jpg

Comment

Looks like a earlier Dax , CT or St70 with 6 digit frame numbers are KO model bikes 1969 to 1971.

The difference between a ST and a CT

CT is the enduro version off road tires and different forks higher guards generally chrome
                  ST is the street version , road tires , lower fatter and wider guards that hugged the tires

The bikes were mostly the same, If you have a round speedo in the parts pile it sounds like you might have some CT70 parts from a 73-75 bike aswell.

Yes the bike is registrable in australia, Ive got a couple pre ADR CT70's and one is rego'd and im working on the next bike now. Most of the ST and CT70 bikes you'll see on the forum are all pre ADR bikes and rego'd up. There are a few newer 1980's bikes around with ADR plates but few and far between.

Comment

How do you know the month and year on the pre comp st70
                    Don't judge me by the size of my bike

Comment

Originally posted by Tbo100 View Post
                      How do you know the month and year on the pre comp st70
                      No idea! Maybe just guesswork?

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by BM086 View Post
                          Thanks for the info. Very helpful!
                          I Know nothing about Dax's, but have a look around on the frame for 6 numbers together. Z50's use a 6 number date code that goes, year-month-day, 2 digits each. Maybe Dax's do the same.
                          Z's have this on the frame and fuel tanks.

Les Minitrails and Monkey Tom are the guys with the knowledge on these things, so it might be worth sending both a pm with your questions.

Comment

I remember when I stripped my 75 ct70 there was a second set of numbers on the frame in the same spot as the frame number but on the opposite side, there was 5 or 6 digits from memory but the stamping was only light and only noticeable with the paint off. Back then I didn't know about date codes so I didn't bother noting it down, but I remember other people on MG had found similar numbers on theirs. Worth a look, could be a date code

Comment

Originally posted by MOTODEVO View Post
                              I remember when I stripped my 75 ct70 there was a second set of numbers on the frame in the same spot as the frame number but on the opposite side, there was 5 or 6 digits from memory but the stamping was only light and only noticeable with the paint off. Back then I didn't know about date codes so I didn't bother noting it down, but I remember other people on MG had found similar numbers on theirs. Worth a look, could be a date code
                              Thanks for the advise. I will have a close look!

Comment

Working...
                              X