Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modernising 1969 ST70 DAX Project start

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to this forum, and a returning Dax enthusiast, having learned to wheelie on a bog stock standard version of this beauty when I was 16. Unfortunately, mum gave my little gem away when I went off to Uni - yes I am a lot older now - but not much wiser I am told..

Having played around with cars for a number of years and recently rebuilt a tired old two cylinder bike into a streetfighter, I was looking for a new challenge.

Long story short, I recently bought a tired 1969 ST from Drew (also on this forum I believe) in Newcastle.

$_75.JPG

I have big plans for this little bike and if I may be so bold, I need your help to progress this build.

In my research since buying the bike I noticed that 99% of all ST's I have viewed, seem to have strayed away from their original trail riding roots and have gone more towards a street riding bias. That is cool. But for me, I want to use the original querky 'suasage dog' lines of the bike and infuse these with a little 'back to the roots' modernism.

Headlines of the changes are to create :

"a trail riding / motard orientated bike that has more power, still capable of carrying two people whilst not totally breaking the bank (important to keep the financial sign-offs coming by the ministry of finance ).

In broad strokes I can outline the modifications as follows:
    • Motard Wheels
    • Disc Brakes (front & rear)
    • USD forks
    • Min. 150cc motor (There would seem to be so much choice here with big $ differences between the choices, but I am leaning towards Daytona... advice??)
    • Alu rearsets which MUST HAVE 'GP' upside down gear shift - because it just works soooo well!
    • Auxilliarry fuel tank to be mounted in place of the original airbox
    • Up & Over exhaust with short muffler (so that a passenger can still be carried)
    • Aluminium Swing arm (does this need to be longer, dar eI ask, will this effect the wheelie-ability ...?)
    • Remote reservoir rear shocks
    • CRF75 front & rear mudguards
    • Grom headlight
    • High-level (protaper-esque) handlebars

Based on the above broad thoughts, my first computer doodles (not of my bike) below, what do you think?
    160103 - Dax ST70 Project 1st Designs.jpg

Looks like you have a plan. Like the computer mock-up. Good luck with the build.

Z50Monkey
    Andrew

Comment

A bit weird looking (I like stock looking) but it will look sick on the street.
      still learning.....

Comment

yeah I'm not a fan of trying to make a vintage bike look like a modern motard. I just don't think the frame suits it.

Daytona 150 and 190 are really good value for money for power/price

you can get side mount aux fuel tanks.
        Life is too short for cheap carbs...

Comment

welcome to the forum .
          you know what ,,, do it !
          if we all built the same bike , it'd be a boring place .

go the daytona
          rear set a sinch , " just flip the fitting that goes onto the gear shaft to reverse shift pattern . "

rfy , all the way up to ohlins for remote res shocks

rest is easy .
          its engine oil madge ,,,
          Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Good point Dex

Comment

Go for it, only you have to like it and if you don't, change it until you do.

I had an idea to modify an st90 (the ugliest model dax) to make it look good, had it pictured in my head and it looked awesome. But then i started slapping parts together and it just wasn't right.
              IMG_2016012120239.jpg
              You won't know unless you try, if it looks crap, try something else

Comment

Originally posted by MOTODEVO View Post
                Go for it, only you have to like it and if you don't, change it until you do.

I had an idea to modify an st90 (the ugliest model dax) to make it look good, had it pictured in my head and it looked awesome. But then i started slapping parts together and it just wasn't right.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]17827[/ATTACH]
                You won't know unless you try, if it looks crap, try something else
                I reckon that's the basis for a good looking bike Moto!!!
                Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for your input.
                  I have a habit of bucking the trend with usually good outcomes. The challenge is to keep the original lines, but to change them enough to make it different but not enough to make it look like frank n shite!

1st Question of Many...

I am usually not to picky about where I buy things from, but there are a couple of items that I will need to be - just for safety's sake.

Can you recommend a good USD fork w disc supplier? I saw a company in NZ selling 45mm for about 300 AUD if I remember correctly.

What are your experiences buying a 190 motor? Australian company or from the US as most things from the US would seem to be cheaper..?

As my bike is ancient running 6v I want to pull all that out and go 12v. Which wiring loom do I need? I have seen references to several different ones.

I am looking at the short (z50) type short up and over exhaust system, will this flow enough gas for the Anima engine?

Looking forward to the advice.

Comment

190s are junk, seen about 5 of them break over multiple items, cranks, kickstart gears/shafts/ crankcases.

very little part support, you get what you pay for.

IMG_9294.jpg20151227_170910.jpg20151227_170941.jpg
                    For Reproduction Monkey Bike - Wiring Harness', Key switch and ignition components, repairs and custom work - https://www.facebook.com/monkeypowerinc

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPower View Post
                      190s are junk, seen about 5 of them break over multiple items, cranks, kickstart gears/shafts/ crankcases.

very little part support, you get what you pay for.
                      Hi "Monkey Power",

Thanks for your insight. Do you also have some alternatives?

Comment

Yeah Honda Nice motors from TJR, Takegawa crate motors, build honda GB4 motors. These often associate quality with big price tags.
                        For Reproduction Monkey Bike - Wiring Harness', Key switch and ignition components, repairs and custom work - https://www.facebook.com/monkeypowerinc

Comment

Hey mp, the motors you've seen fail been the early ones or more recent ones?

Comment

Originally posted by MattyP View Post
                            Hey mp, the motors you've seen fail been the early ones or more recent ones?
                            Yeah bit of both, alot of the early ones had kickstarter/idler gear crankcase breakages.
                            new one sheared key on a ride i went on
                            another split the standard flywheel keyway
                            another just last week sheared crank

when you try to get a lot of bang in a little space, materials quality really shows/speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPower View Post
                              Yeah bit of both, alot of the early ones had kickstarter/idler gear crankcase breakages.
                              new one sheared key on a ride i went on
                              another split the standard flywheel keyway
                              another just last week sheared crank

when you try to get a lot of bang in a little space, materials quality really shows/speaks for itself.
                              So what are the Lifan, XY 's like in your opinion?

Comment

Working...
                              X