1978 Honda NC50 Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Here are some photos of the foam being prepped and body filler applied ready for initial shaping.

Cheers.

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

Initial Shaping done!

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

IMG_7108.jpg

Comment

How would you go with a vibrating pad/table to get rid of the air ,,?
      As they do with setting concrete ,,,and to make clear ice blocks for sculptures and such .
      its engine oil madge ,,,
      Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
        How would you go with a vibrating pad/table to get rid of the air ,,?
        As they do with setting concrete ,,,and to make clear ice blocks for sculptures and such .
        Hi Dex,

With the extra sprues and vents cut and a bit of tapping of the mould once the resin is poured there are no defects now.

Cheers

Comment

Hi there,

Here are photos of the air filter cover details.

I cut some grooves through the top of the mould with the Dremel then cut thin strips of plastic rod to suit and bogged them into place.

Once they are removed they will give a detail groove around the cover similar to the original.

Once this has set and been sanded i will cut the reliefs for the mounting screws.

I have also added a flange for the fibreglassing

Cheers

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg

Comment

Hi there,

Here are some more photos of the air filter cover details

I fixed the mould plug to a wood box so i could build a temporary router table and fence around it

The cover has reliefs for the mounting screws so this was the way i cut them into the plug with the router.

Cheers.

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

Comment

Hi there,

Here are some more photos of the air filter cover.

Filled any defects then primed and sanded

Mounted to the filter housing and i filled any gaps with clay

Then i sprayed PVA to the whole setup ready for gelcoat.

Cheers.

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

First gelcoat applied

IMG_7121.jpg

Comment

Loving everything about this build mate - keep the updates coming (although I realise you're doing a lot more than just bolting on bits - so it takes a lot longer!!!!).
                Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Thanks Diggs,

Will keep them coming.

Yeah will be a long build for sure but making progress slowly!

Here is the mold with cove in the corners and the cutouts. This adds strength and allows the mat a shallower transition at right angles

Also added a back board for ease of mould making later.

Cheers.

IMG_7122.jpg

IMG_7123.jpg

Comment

Lucky you're doing it, I would have put it in the too hard basket long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Lucky you're doing it, I would have put it in the too hard basket long ago.
                      Hi Peter,

I read this to my wife and she agrees with you there.

I think the hours put in will be worth it in the end to see it returned to its former glory. ( Wife shaking her head in background ) lol!

Cheers.

Here is the mould finished

Had a couple of small holes to fix but all done and ready to make the part.

IMG_7125.jpg

Comment

wow , your wife is not the only one , I found myself shaking my head too after each update. you must have a lot of spare time.

Comment

I think it's the 'fun' (challenge really) of getting something, be it a bike, car or even a mower, and bringing it back from certain death. Sort of the mechanical equivalent of a ER department. Lol
                          "We have the technology, we can rebuild it better, stronger, faster".........well, atlest get it going again.

Comment

Amazing work!

Comment

Thanks babu, I really appreciate the positive comments and likes.

Here is the mould PVA'd, gelcoated and fibreglassed

Cheers.

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing the airbox cover mate, recreating the fenders was pretty awesome - but making this without having ANYTHING to copy off is truly awesome.

You have my BOTY vote already just based on the amount of work you've put into this. With an unlimited budget most people here could bolt an amazing Take/Kitaco laden bike together - but this is craftsmanship!
                                Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Working...
                                X