No announcement yet.

1978 Honda NC50 Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope you're keeping the mould and making a few more - sure there'd be some people in the market for them being that you cant buy them anywhere (except for banged up 2nd hand ones)!
    Rigby "No dude, you're doing it wrong! Righty-tidey, lefty-losey! Not lefty-tidey mess it up because you're a loser!"

ZRX1200S, RGV250 VJ22, Skyteam T-Rex, Z50J1 '78, XV250 Virago

Comment

Take 2

A bit of a setback with the gelcoat!

The first coat was too thin so when the second coat went on the resin bleed through and damaged the surface of the plug.

I had to completely start from scratch as the gelcoat stuck to the plug.

Anyway back on track now, i sprayed the PVA over the whole plug this time and that should protect the plug surface.

Then 2 THICK layers of gelcoat have been applied and three layers of fibreglass cloth for edge strength

Next i will be applying 3 to 4 layers of chopped mat for overall strength of the mould and mounting stiffening board.

Fingers crossed this will be the last time i need to do this to the plug.

Cheers.

IMG_7033.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

Comment

Top job mate!! Can't wait to see the finished product.
        Save the monkeys

Comment

Here are photos of the back board in place and the detail of how i supported the flange with cardboard and hot glue.

Also a shot of the tool turned over.

Just need to wait a few days for it all to cure then i will trim the flange and remove the plug.

Hopefully it wont be too much hassle as the old guard is quite flexible and should release easily!

Cheers.

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7045 2.jpg

Comment

Just need to wait a few days for it all to cure then i will trim the flange and remove the plug .

Got to be a joke in that right there ,,,!!!
            Awsome stuff
            Keep it up .

Ohhh ,, not long till gp season
            its engine oil madge ,,,
            Your soaking in it ,,!!

Comment

Got the use of a multi tool from a friend so i trimmed the flanges and all the vibrations caused the plug to release itself from the mold!

Awesome result. The mold is pretty perfect just a couple of pinhole bubbles on the edge but i will mix some gelcoat and fill them.

The PVA did its job but does leave a light surface texture on the mold surface so after a light sand it should be good to go.

Cheers.

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7046 2.jpg

Comment

A few days.......we cant wait that long. You have to put picts up of other stuff on it.

Comment

Going back to the final drive sprocket i had cut we found that the pitch is an odd size at 8.5mm

The normal size pitch for that size chain is 8.00mm

Lots of motorcycle manufactures use special size chains and sprockets

Anyway the sprocket cutters did not have or get a hold of a 8.5mm Hob, so i ordered one from a company in India who specialize in sprocket and gear Hobs

The Hob arrived today and here are some photos of the two sprockets against the Hob.

I will get a few cut at once and if they work i will hopefully sell some to recover some costs.

Cheers.

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7052.jpg

Comment

Here are some photos of the first layup in the rear guard mold.

First i waxed the mold surface a few times then a few coats of PVA mold release.

Next a coat of white Gelcoat was applied and once tacked off a layer of surface tissue then a layer of cloth.

Allow to cure to a stage where i can trim the excess without lifting any fibres

Then i applied a final coat of Gelcoat and allowed it to tack then applied PVA to seal the gel from the air so it will cure completely dry.

Cheers.

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

Comment

mmmm. don't ya just looooovvvee fibreglass.

Comment

It sure is amazing stuff Peter.

Here is the first guard out of the mold.

Turned out really good. Just need to fine tune the mold a bit around the edge.

Also a bit too flimsy i will add a couple more layers of mat on the next one.

Cheers.

IMG_7062.jpg

Comment

That's an amazing amount of work mate - great job.

Comment

you have a great range of skills , top work

Comment

Hi there,

I have been working on the front guard mold and finally finished!

Hope to start laying up some new guards soon.

Cheers.

IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7064.jpg

Comment

Here are some photos of the foot rest covers being prepared for silicon mold making.

The covers are first mounted on to a board with clay.

The clay is then smoothed out in line with the bottom edge of the part.

This will form the parting line of the silicon 2 part mold.

I then used a paint brush handle to put registration holes in the clay so that the silicon will flow into them and when the 2nd part is poured, with the clay removed, it will locate the two parts of the mold for pouring the mold plastic.

More to come!

Cheers.

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X